1-2 inch knob of fresh ginger root
      4-6 garlic cloves
      1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, more to taste
      3 tbs soy sauce or tamari
      2 tbs mirin
      1 tbs fresh lemon juice
      1 tbs sesame oil
      2 tbs sesame seeds, toasted if desired
      Press the tofu: Prepare a double thickness of paper towels on a cutting board or other flat surface.

Drain the tofu, slice it in half lengthwise, and place both halves side by side on the prepared paper towels. Wrap the tofu in the paper towels, then wrap in a cloth towel, then sit the towel on a flat surface. Place a flat heavy item, or items, on top of the wrapped tofu and let it sit for 15-20 minutes.
      Prep: Trim and discard the woody ends of the asparagus.

Slice the asparagus spears diagonally into 1 ½ inch pieces and set aside. Peel the ginger and garlic and mince them or grate them on a microplane grater. In a measuring cup or small bowl, combine the soy sauce, mirin, sesame oil, and lemon juice.

Taste and adjust to your preference by adding a little more of any of the ingredients. Remove the tofu from the towels and slice it into ½ inch dice. Put the tofu in a flat-bottomed bowl.

Place the corn starch in a fine mesh strainer and use a spoon to sift the corn starch over the tofu. Use a rubber spatula to carefully stir the tofu to evenly distribute the corn starch.

Stir-Fry: Heat a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat for 3-4 min. Add the vegetable oil to the skillet and heat until it’s shimmering but not smoking (if it smokes, turn it off and let it cool for a minute, then reheat). Add the tofu in a single layer and allow it to crisp on one side for 1-2 min.

Shake the skillet or stir carefully and continue to cook the tofu until each piece has browned on at least 3 sides, another 3-5 min. Add the ginger, garlic, and red pepper flakes and stir until fragrant, about 30 sec. Add the asparagus and stir frequently until it is just cooked through (crisp yet tender), about 3-5 min.
      Add the soy mixture and stir constantly for 2-3 min, coating the asparagus and tofu as the liquid reduces.

Remove from heat. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and stir.

Serve Sesame-Ginger Asparagus with Tofu hot, over rice or noodles if desired. Serves 4
      money1 smilie

MarianWickens

I love tofu and asparagus. Perhaps, I’ll try this healthy recipe later. Thanks for posting it here.

This is such a good idea for our meal later.

mos

This is a bit of work, but so worth it. I’ve had to ‘adjust,’ ‘adapt,’ or just develop recipes for my sister when she and her husband visit because they are vegetarians. I’m still not a fan of tofu, but the recipes that I’ve adjusted or developed have been received well.
      Sometimes I’ll eat what I’ve prepared for her and her dh and sometimes, i just eat a piece of meat!

typically, for this meal, i’ll stir-fry a sliced boneless pork chop separately for me. they don’t mind and always ask for my recipegiggle smiley i’ve learned from her dh that her cooking is rather boring so he loves it when they visit so he can ask for a recipe or two to take home.

i don’t always prepare a ‘tofu’ meal for them, sometimes it’s just a meal of great veggies and grains…like squash and quinoa or a monster dinner salad with crostini.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.