sugar
      2 c. applesauce (chunky or smooth)
      3 1/3 c. flour
      1 tsp.

baking soda
      1 tsp. cinnamon
      2/3 c. nuts (optional)

Directions:
      Cream together shortening and sugar. Beat in eggs, applesauce and water. Sift flour, baking powder, soda, salt and spices, and add to mixture.

Stir in nuts. Pour into WELL greased pint jars (the ones with wide mouths) filling half full. Place jars on a cookie sheet.

Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes. When jars come out, wipe jars clean and put on canning lid and ring…screw tight (careful: use oven mits…it will be hot). Jars seal as they cool.

Makes 12-14 pint jars. Lasts sealed for 1 year!

I had this recipe or one very similar that I had cut out of a newspaper long, long ago. It was the first bake-in-a-jar recipe that I had ever seen and it was so good and moist. Somehow over the years I lost it and often wished to find a replacement. Thanks for a new copy.

Thank you so much for this recipe. I love the fact that you can “store it” for many months. This does sound delicious and I think I will make it next week when I get paid.

Thanks for the sweet comments everyone. It is very moist and good! Hope you like it!

Good use for my homemade applesauce. Thanks.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.