Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

I live in an apartment with no garden space available. I’ve thought of doing a windowbox garden, but don’t know how to start or what would grow best. Plus, I’m looking for something I can grow that would be edible, too. Any suggestions?

Also, I have a black thumb. It is so sad. I kill even aloe plants.

Heck, my sister kills cacti.

You can grow all kinds of edibles in containers. I grow herbs, vegetables and even fruits in containers. Our indoor garden provides some fresh eating during the winter months, to go along with the produce we canned, froze and/or dried from our large outdoor gardens last summer.

Start out small, pick your favorite vegetable and give it a try. Thanks; Virginia

Avatar for lmitchellFreebieQueen

@lmitchell 265280 wrote:

I live in an apartment with no garden space available. I’ve thought of doing a windowbox garden, but don’t know how to start or what would grow best. Plus, I’m looking for something I can grow that would be edible, too. Any suggestions?

You can make Rustic Wall planters too, which helps keep them off the floorspace.

Budget101.com – – DIY Rustic Planter | rustic wall mason jar planter | Uses for Mason Jars

Herbs, dill, rosemary, thyme, cilantro- all are easy to grow. We’ve grown tomatoes indoors as well, but you have to be prepared to pollinate the flowers using a q-tip.

Participant

I can hook you right up with that.

Check out this video of a working system.

here is the website with instructions and people you can ask if there are any problems.

Wow. Thanks. I’ll check it when I go on break at work.

I would like the video or website info too, am intrested in growing a few more plants in my apartment. would liike a small herb garden, some type of fern, a small potted tree or aloe, and maybe a hanging tomatoe plant.

For the Video just click on the words “video of a working system” and for the website just click on the words “here is the website” on HerbLady’s post above. Hope this helps. Thanks; Virginia

Participant

Oh wow that is a great video link, Thank You so much for sharing

Salad greens are small plants that don’t require deep soil. Check out these rain gutter gardens: Rain Gutter Recycling: Spring Salad Garden | AquaDuck Rain Gutter Co.

Here’s some other ideas for growing food in an apartment: 10 Ideas for Growing Food in an Apartment Patio
      I’ve always thought of myself as having a black thumb but I really want home grown veggies. We built some raised beds and have had OK harvests. I’ve been researching it to learn what we’re doing wrong and have great hope for the new season.

Good luck – You can do it!

My mom is giving me a self-watering planter. I haven’t seen it yet, but she said its about 2 ft x 1 ft x 1.5 ft. Not bad, I guess.

Would love to grow some peppers or cucumbers.

Thank you so much for posting the video, very helpful and interesting I am planning my mental garden as we speak.. so to speak

This is the first year i planted cilantro and they are a joy! Really they are very low maintenance but perks up anything in the kitchen. I just literally tossed some seeds in my vegetable garden, I guess i’m going to toss more this spring.

🙂 Enjoy your mental garden Linda62 and good luck on your apartment garden.

Today is a new beginning, another day to give thanks and praise. :occasion16:

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.