any ideas on fencing

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

Just my 2 cents. 🙂 I’ve raised rabbits for years. And I have raised them on the ground.

Chicken wire is ok, but if tends to rot fairly quickly when the rabbits pee on it (their urine is very acidic). I would use the thicker wire used for making rabbit cages. (1″x2″).

However, there are some problems with having them in a pen on the ground. They can’t get away from their feces and it tends to stick to their rearends and tails. So make sure to keep an eye on that area to keep it clean.

They are prone to ear mites and other parasites. If they do get ear mites a drop or two of sweet oil or mineral oil in each ear usually takes care of it. Predators are another issue–if something wants your bunny they will stop at nothing to get it.

No pen in predator-proof unless it’s inside a building. I’ve even had babies pulled through the bottom of cages by neighborhood dogs. I think the best
      way to raise rabbits is in cages that way you can separate the males from females (they will fight, especially if the female is bred; or if you put 2 males together).

Cages can be expensive, you can build your own for cheaper or go to poultry auctions and sometimes pick up some for $5 or $10. But they last for years. I have one cage I built about 6 six years ago and it doesn’t have a bit of rust on it.

Like I said this is just my 2 cents. I wish you the best of luck. I love my rabbits and can’t imagine living without having a few.

Take care and enjoy your bunnies! Nettie

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.