- This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated August 29, 2012 at 8:49 pm by .
- August 28, 2012 at 1:32 am #308890
1 (1 lb) package red kidney beans
1 green bell pepper-diced
1 medium onion-diced
3 celery ribs-diced
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp pepper
3 tbsp creole seasoning
3 garlic cloves-minced/grated
3 quarts water-(I add 2-3 bouillon cubes-beef or chicken-no MSG)
1 lb smoked sausage-sliced
1. Soak kidney beans overnight.
2. Pour out water, rinse well, add 3 quarts water, and bouillon cubes-if using; Add to beans.
Add salt, pepper and Creole or Cajun seasoning.
4. Cover and cook on low heat 4 hours.
5. Add smoked sausage to beans and cook 45 minutes.
Stir beans occasionally while cooking.
For the RICE:
2 cups water
1 cup rice
1. Bring 2 cups water to boil.
2. Add 1 cup rice; cover tightly and simmer on low until rice is
tender and water is absorbed.
Serve Red Beans over hot, steaming rice.
Can make this in a slow cooker also.
- August 29, 2012 at 6:21 pm #432599
I forgot to add that a can of rotel or tomatoes can also be added for added flavor and veggies.
I’ve made it both ways and enjoyed both. 😉
- August 29, 2012 at 8:15 pm #432602
Yum! You’re recipes always make me hungry. Red beans and rice is my all time favorite.
- August 29, 2012 at 8:49 pm #432605
Thanks lala! Hope you guys enjoy it!!
Hubby likes it too, but it -must- have smoked sausage in it or he acts like I’ve committed a huge felony. lol He’s so funny about things like that.
Gotta have his meat… ::shakes head::
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.