Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes General Recipes Angel Food Menu Recipes Needed!

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

I just got my first box of Angel Food today. Everything looked good, and I loved how it was ready to freeze, without labeling/wrapping etc.

My main problem is that most of the meat items I have no idea how to cook or have any recipes that call for them. We’ve only been able to purchase ground beef for so long that I have no experience with anything else. (The only two exceptions is a roast that I cooked a few months back and country style pork ribs that I marinade and roast, just started that about a month ago)

I also have no idea how to cook some of the other items (like the broccoli)

I’ve tried to find preplanned menus/recipes so that I can maximize how much I am saving with out wasting something just because I don’t know how to use it. The only thing that I have found has been Hillbilly Housewife, but this hasn’t been updated since last year.

As for kitchen supplies, I have a basic pot and pan set, 2qt. crock pot and a roasting pan with rack.

My main questions are this:
      How do I cook this/create meals, using the kitchen supplies that I own. I am able to suplimint the Angel Food box, but not by much.

Here is the Angel Food Menu:
      1.5 lb. Ribeye Steak (4 x 6 oz.)
      4 lb. Leg Quarters
      1.5 lb. Beef Patties (4 x 6 oz.)
      18 oz. Cheese Filled Manicotti
      2 lb. Pork Rib Strips
      1 lb. Chicken Breast Fajita Strips
      1 lb. Ground Turkey
      1 lb. Broccoli
      1 lb. Peas
      6 ct. Oatmeal Variety Box
      2 each-Regular, Maple Brown Sugar
      and Apple Cinnamon
      32 oz. 2% Shelf Stable Milk
      8 oz. Blueberry Muffin Mix
      12 ct. White Corn Tortillas
      1 lb. Pinto Beans
      7 oz. Chicken Flavored Rice & Vermicelli
      Dozen Eggs

I also have about 5lbs of ground beef in the freezer, plenty of rice and instant mashed potatoes, pasta, flour, corn meal, some canned veggies, dry milk, and a fair amount of condiments. I am just at a loss as what to do with this stuff, I think that I might have blown my mental planning fuse.

Thanks for any help and suggestions that you guys may have,
      Shannon

The recipes in my CMthread will cover your ground turcky. In general you can sub it in most ground beef recipes.

you said ground beef and mashed potatos? I thought sheperds pie. Just a simple recipe for it. you dont have to add veggies but i usuallt do at least green beans and corn.

Fajita Strips and beans can make a mexican dinner night.

Broccoli you can use in a caserole or just cook it with enough water in a pan to cover with 1/2 inch over. Add a bit of butter if you like and cook till you can stic a for in it and pull free easily. It will drop right off your fork when its don. Serv as a side. be sure to cut it into bite sizes if you boil it. would go well with those steaks.

Do you have any cookbooks that you can refer too? A Cookbook can give some really good ideas on how to cook the items that you have. Sounds like you have enough kitchen pans to use for the basic use. There are alot of great recipes here on the site also.

I’ve never had Shepard’s Pie, I’ll have to check it out. The cook books that I have are nice, but not really helping. I have 2 of the Fix It and Forget It books, but my crock pot size keeps me from using those. I also have the Betty Crocker Red Book, and while it has a lot of basics in it, most of the recipes call for things that I don’t have.

I am going to keep looking, and try to figure out a menu in the next day or so.

Thanks everyone,
      Shannon

recipe converter

for your fix it and forget it recipes use the link to cut down the recipe size so it will fit in your pot. Or you can always try your local Freecycle

I got ya covered..lol these are a few of my favorite sites….. the first one you can tell em what you think of the recipe and read the other reviews see what they say what they would change and so on
      Recipezaar – Recipe index with thousands of free recipes
      Campbell’s Kitchen – Home
      CheapCooking.com: Cheap Family Recipes, Easy Recipes, Healthy Recipes
      CookingByNumbers.com
      Supercook: Find recipes that use ingredients you have at home

I just went to the Angel Food Ministries website and they have some great recipes.
      I am gonna try and order a few of the boxes in Feb.

Go to: Welcome – Angel Food Ministries and click on the Recipes column on the right hand side of the screen.

redring-Thanks for the converter, I really needed it.

secretlover_at-Those links were great, I’ve only been able to glance at them, but I will be going through them tonight (while it hopefully snows!)

saunders97-I had looked there, but every time it shows no recipes available. I’ll dig a little deeper and see it I can find the ones that you mentioned.

Thanks everyone. Once I figure out what I am doing, I’ll post a menu in the other forum.

Shannon

On the Angel Food Site, there is a window that drops done, I think it’s on the seach recipes part. Then from there you can select what catagory you want, and then it will give you the recipes. It’s a really good site to find some good recipes for the items that you get from them.

I’m supposed to get our box saturday – crossing my fingers – what a pain they are! they are only open mon-thurs and haven’t cashed my check yet and am not sure if they received it in the mailbox and haven’t heard from them AND she didn’t answer my email about it….

anyways, my favorite part is making recipes out of the food, i usually find myself cooking ALOT more though, but I’ll try and help you with some easy recipes.

GROUND TURKEY
      If your ground turkey from angelfood is the same as the one we got last time, a big roll of it, it doesn’t taste too good ground up. So i decided it might be better as a meatloaf. to do that, just put the ground turkey in a baking pan (what does your roasting pan look like?) a loaf type would be best. But if not, you could also make meatloaf style burgers or meatballs to make in your pot. So to do this, just add 2 eggs, a big scoop of breadcrumbs (you can toast some bread and then put it in the food processor), and any condiments you have (bbq, mustard, salt, pepper, teriyaki, soy, worcestire – a swish of each) and any spices you like too. You could add some of your dried milk or corn meal too. And bake for about 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees and it should be good. Or instead form into balls/hamburgers and grill in skillet pan or even a pot with some olive oil.

RIBEYE STEAK
      None of the steaks or ribs last time were really any good. Even when I coated them in seasonings and marinade. So it might taste better if you chop it up into small bite size pieces and then cook it (either bake it for about 5-10 minutes or grill until ready). You can then add in pot the pieces with the frozen broccoli to make a stirfry. Or the peas. You can use one of the sauces you already own or a salad dressing too. Or add a bunch of all purpose seasonings or garlic to make it tasty. Or you could make your own sauce/gravy using flour, milk, and butter/oil.

LEG QUARTERS
      The leg quarters last time were the last thing i made and i had enough for 2 different meals. The first time I boiled them and made a soup with the broth by adding salt, seasonings, carrots, potatoes, etc. The second time i used the cranberry sauce they gave in the package and made a sauce with that. Not sure which condiments you have but you can make a honey-soy sauce or a brown sugar mustard rub? And serve with rice.

PORK RIB STRIPS
      not sure if these are like the ribs we had last time but i baked them in the oven with a chinese rib marinade sauce i bought. i ended up buying some ingredients later on after i cooked everything i could without buying things. And we ended up going a long time without getting groceries because of angelfood, besides the small purchases. You could use these in the crockpot with the rice too and make some type of dish? Not too sure since i dont have a crockpot (i wish i did!)

FAJITAS
      They gave you fajita strips, pinto beans, tortillas, you could also use the rice/vermicelli to add to them. Just heat all the ingredients and that’s it.

BLUEBERRY MUFFINS & OATMEAL
      You can use the milk for these since its shelf-style and might not taste good to drink but you can’t notice the difference when you add it to things.

PEAS & BROCCOLI
      You can add them to stirfrys with the meat or you can heat them up in your pan, using about an inch of water at the bottom and a lid loosely fitted on top to let steam escape. And boil on medium until heated up. Then add spices or some cheese if you want hem as a side dish.

SHEPHARD’s PIE
      I watched my aunt make this last time i was with her and it was so much easier than i thought. If you use your already bought ground meat you brown it first. Then you boil the potatoes and mash them. And then you put in a big, greased casserole style baking pan, the frozen peas on bottom then a layer of mashed potatoes, then the ground beef. And then you can repeat the layers again if you want. It also helps to add a white sauce to the beef so it doesnt dry up. Heat 2 tbsp butter with 2 tbsp flour until bubbly, then add 1 cup milk and cook until thick about 5 minutes.

Good luck!! Hope i helped. 🙂 I just hope we’re able to get ours on saturday and dont show up with nothing to pick up! 🙁

I’m supposed to get our box saturday – crossing my fingers – what a pain they are! they are only open mon-thurs and haven’t cashed my check yet and am not sure if they received it in the mailbox and haven’t heard from them AND she didn’t answer my email about it….

anyways, my favorite part is making recipes out of the food, i usually find myself cooking ALOT more though, but I’ll try and help you with some easy recipes.

GROUND TURKEY
      If your ground turkey from angelfood is the same as the one we got last time, a big roll of it, it doesn’t taste too good ground up. So i decided it might be better as a meatloaf. to do that, just put the ground turkey in a baking pan (what does your roasting pan look like?) a loaf type would be best. But if not, you could also make meatloaf style burgers or meatballs to make in your pot. So to do this, just add 2 eggs, a big scoop of breadcrumbs (you can toast some bread and then put it in the food processor), and any condiments you have (bbq, mustard, salt, pepper, teriyaki, soy, worcestire – a swish of each) and any spices you like too. You could add some of your dried milk or corn meal too. And bake for about 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees and it should be good. Or instead form into balls/hamburgers and grill in skillet pan or even a pot with some olive oil.

RIBEYE STEAK
      None of the steaks or ribs last time were really any good. Even when I coated them in seasonings and marinade. So it might taste better if you chop it up into small bite size pieces and then cook it (either bake it for about 5-10 minutes or grill until ready). You can then add in pot the pieces with the frozen broccoli to make a stirfry. Or the peas. You can use one of the sauces you already own or a salad dressing too. Or add a bunch of all purpose seasonings or garlic to make it tasty. Or you could make your own sauce/gravy using flour, milk, and butter/oil.

LEG QUARTERS
      The leg quarters last time were the last thing i made and i had enough for 2 different meals. The first time I boiled them and made a soup with the broth by adding salt, seasonings, carrots, potatoes, etc. The second time i used the cranberry sauce they gave in the package and made a sauce with that. Not sure which condiments you have but you can make a honey-soy sauce or a brown sugar mustard rub? And serve with rice.

PORK RIB STRIPS
      not sure if these are like the ribs we had last time but i baked them in the oven with a chinese rib marinade sauce i bought. i ended up buying some ingredients later on after i cooked everything i could without buying things. And we ended up going a long time without getting groceries because of angelfood, besides the small purchases. You could use these in the crockpot with the rice too and make some type of dish? Not too sure since i dont have a crockpot (i wish i did!)

FAJITAS
      They gave you fajita strips, pinto beans, tortillas, you could also use the rice/vermicelli to add to them. Just heat all the ingredients and that’s it.

BLUEBERRY MUFFINS & OATMEAL
      You can use the milk for these since its shelf-style and might not taste good to drink but you can’t notice the difference when you add it to things.

PEAS & BROCCOLI
      You can add them to stirfrys with the meat or you can heat them up in your pan, using about an inch of water at the bottom and a lid loosely fitted on top to let steam escape. And boil on medium until heated up. Then add spices or some cheese if you want hem as a side dish.

SHEPHARD’s PIE
      I watched my aunt make this last time i was with her and it was so much easier than i thought. If you use your already bought ground meat you brown it first. Then you boil the potatoes and mash them. And then you put in a big, greased casserole style baking pan, the frozen peas on bottom then a layer of mashed potatoes, then the ground beef. And then you can repeat the layers again if you want. It also helps to add a white sauce to the beef so it doesnt dry up. Heat 2 tbsp butter with 2 tbsp flour until bubbly, then add 1 cup milk and cook until thick about 5 minutes.

Good luck!! Hope i helped. 🙂 I just hope we’re able to get ours on saturday and dont show up with nothing to pick up! 🙁

we have an angelfood ministries in our area. I am considering purchasing, but am not sure if it is worth the money. For $30 I get enough to feed a family of 4 for a week(according to the claim). I’m new to this so I would like some input from others. I am trying to be more frugal. We are trying to get out of debt through Dave Ramsey program at church and I’m trying to learn different ways to cut costs and save money….Please help!!!!!

we have an angelfood ministries in our area. I am considering purchasing, but am not sure if it is worth the money. For $30 I get enough to feed a family of 4 for a week(according to the claim). I’m new to this so I would like some input from others. I am trying to be more frugal. We are trying to get out of debt through Dave Ramsey program at church and I’m trying to learn different ways to cut costs and save money….Please help!!!!!

Hi Sharonamick! I just got my angelfood package saturday for the second time. The first time was in November and it lasted about 2 months until everything was completely used up (for my small family of 2). It will definitely last more than a week, in my opinion. I thought it was meant to last 2 weeks for a family of 4? You might need to do a small shopping or you can use some of the things you already have too. Last night was fajita night and they gave us the tortillas, chicken, and pinto beans so I went out and bought a tomato, onion, sour cream, avocado to go with it. And now we have enough for tonight too.

They give you mostly meat in packages with some veggies and convenience boxes of rice, muffin mix, cookies, etc. You also get a dozen eggs and shelf milk. And other things. But the meat is what you/your family needs to be flexible with the most. Some of the meat is not the best quality so it helps to find recipes to add it to or to make it taste better! We got ribs, chicken legs, some steak, fajita chicken, ground turkey loaf, and there might be something else? But it’s large enough quantities for a family of 4 and you could definitely stretch it out by using beans/pasta and just half the amount of meat.

I think its worth it for us since we dont get nearly as many groceries when we had it last time. The only reason I dont think I’ll be getting it again (besides them losing my check) is that its too much meat for me and I’m thinking of going meat-free soon.

The add-on packages are the best too. We got one last time that was all chicken breasts marinated in different seasonings. They were so good and lasted a long time! (Atleast 5 dinners for us)

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes General Recipes Angel Food Menu Recipes Needed!