Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Dirt Cheap Dinners Andrea’s Chicken Noodle Soup

Tagged: ,

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

3 chicken hindquarters ~~~ I buy a 10 lb bag for $7.92, usually has 11-12 pieces in it. $2.16
      3 ribs of celery ~~~ A full stock of celery is running about $1.15 where I live if there are 20 ribs then the cost for the 3 ribs is about $0.19
      1 – 1 lb bag of mixed veggies ~~~ I buy the peas, carrots, corn, green beans, and lima bean mix $0.98
      either one batch of homemade noodles, or one bag of egg noodles $1.50 for the bag.
      bay leaves if i have them, soup base if i have it, other seasonings i use are garlic, garlic and more garlic.. but that is the way we like our food.
      Total $4.83

Instructions.
      Put hind quarters in a big soup pot cover with water and boil until chicken falls off of the bones, I put bay leaves in at this time easier to pull them out. Pull the chicken out of the pan let it cool pull out the bones boil them for at least 1-2 hours more (pulls good healthy stuff out of the bones.) I put the chicken in a covered bowl in the fridge let it cool then cut it up while boiling the bones. Once the bones are done I pull them out, put the celery in and the chicken.

Once the celery is soft enough I add the frozen veggies. Once the pot comes back to boil I add in spices and the noodles.

This is one of the staples in my house, often I will bake up the entire 10 lb bag of chicken then separate it out into meal sized portions in freezer bags, I will boil up all of the bones and make a bone broth adding in bay leaves, celery stalks, and seasonings. I will add that into batches of soup also.

For seasonings in ours I usually use 2 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper, 3/4 tsp Himalayan pink salt, 1 tbs minced garlic, 1/2 tsp Thyme in addition to the directions in the first post.

It’s so delicious and easy, a sprinkle of this, dash of that kind of thing.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Participant

mandy1…I’m not familiar with Himalayan pink salt. I thought that I knew most of the seasonings available, but I’ve never heard of this.
      AndreaGwyn…your recipe reminds me that I need to restock my broth reserves! lol!

so i will be doing double duty next weekend…making some soup to stock up and some broth for other uses;-d

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Dirt Cheap Dinners Andrea’s Chicken Noodle Soup