Budget101 Discussion List Archives Tips-n-Tricks An easy and inexpensive way to shine your silver using kitchen items.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

Since real silver jewelry is prone to tarnish and you may not always have a polishing cloth or cleaner in your home (I think it too expensive to purchase), here is a quick and easy way to get your silver gleaming.
      Simply make a paste of two parts water to one part cornstarch and apply to your jewelry with a damp cloth. All it should take is one wipe after letting this mixture dry and the discoloration will disappear!

walaa!!

:mrgreen:

I’ve heard toothpaste works too! (Haven’t tested it- but just an idea)

Toothpast?? I am going to try that…thanks!!

I’m going to try both!!! Thank you both for sharing with us. Have a wonderful day all!!! Right now it’s time for more coffee and the curling iron, lol. Coffee smilie

Nana

:xmas:

I’ve always use toothpaste. Or baking soda –used to brush teeth with baking soda growing up.

JoAnn, I still use the baking soda for brushing teeth. Makes them feel so much cleaner and whiter and cheaper 🙂

I have never used baking soda…does it leave a film?

No film is left. Just remember to rinse with war water.

Warm water…….okay I will try this….does it make them whiter??

:doh: Oh sorry Lynn I thought you was asking about the baking soda for the silver. For the teeth, yes it does make them whiter-gets the coffee/tea stains off. Mix it with some water to make a little paste. Rinsing with warm water is kind of nasty but does help to ensure you get it all out. Almost feels like you were just at the dentist and had a cleaning 🙂

OOPS!! Sorry!! lol…..confuse myself sometimes too!! LOL…. I want to try this…I drink alot of coffee too!! Thanks Kim!!!!!

If you add a little peroxide to the toothbrush also, that will really brighten them. Don’t swallow anything though that would be bad 🙂

lllllooo Yes Kim, you are right about the warm water–but like you said “does help to ensure you get it all out”. Sorry, if I changed the thread a bit with the comment about baking soda.

OH NO dont apologize!!! I am learning alot here!!!!!! Thank you JoAnn and Kim!!!

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Tips-n-Tricks An easy and inexpensive way to shine your silver using kitchen items.