Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author

Ok, I have never used amonia so I was hoping that I could get some tips on how to use it.

I went to Kroger yesterday and they have 1/2 gallon bottle of amonia for
      25 cent. I had to get a few 🙂 I know my mother used to use it for cleaning – but I hated the smell.

Any suggestions? Plus if you can suggest anything that will make it smell better when using???

Thanks for all your help!!

Lynn

:061:

First and formost, do not mix this with bleach in anyway! The fumes are toxic and can cause you to pass out and possibly not wake again. Okay with that said, you can use ammonia for all of your cleaning needs.

Dilute it in a bucket for mopping-check the type of flooring you have. Dilute it and put in a spray bottle for cleaning your counters, tables, sinks, etc. Works great for cleaning windows as well.

As far as the smell, I don’t know what it would be like it you mixed some lemon juice or vanilla to it. If I buy the ammonia I usually buy one that is lemon scented to help with some of that overpowering smell it has. HTH

I was going to say the same thing as Wilbe95! Do NOT mix with bleach. I know of 2 people who have done this.

A lot of people tend to pour amonia based cleaning products & bleach in the toilet at the same time. (I guess they think 2 cleaning products together will clean better than one.) Anyway, it is HIGHLY dangerous!!!

Be very careful in inclosed areas – my mom used in our basement once and she got very sick -even had a lung collaspe becase of the vapors for being mixed with other chemicals bobbi -ne

WOW!! I definetly wont mix it with bleach. Was it a bad idea to buy the amonia?

Kinda nervous now to mix it with vanilla either. What exactly does amonia do?

How to Clean with Ammonia

How to Clean with Ammonia | eHow.com

Great!! I am going to look on there now…just still need to figure out how to avoid the smell…. Thanks!!

Ventilation is about the best thing for the smell.

ventilation, proper dilution, and time for your nose to adjust to it. 🙂

Had to giggle a little doh doh…thanks yall 🙂

As long as you don’t mix it with bleach it is very safe to use. I use it a lot as it really cleans and is so cheap to buy. My oven can be really gross and I can leave a bowl of ammonia in it closed up over night and in the morning after it airs out I just wipe all the baked on goo right out.

Dilution is the biggest thing when cleaning to help the smell.

I use ammonia for seasonal cleaning and I also have a recipe that I use to make my own “wet mop” pad cleaning solution that calls for ammonia. I prefer the lemon scented, but use both. If you are using it by itself remember to dilute with water and have plenty of ventilation available.

Debbie

@rtebalt 90498 wrote:

How to Clean with Ammonia

How to Clean with Ammonia | eHow.com

rtebalt, Very nice post good info here —Thanks.

@dyankee1995 90618 wrote:

have a recipe that I use to make my own “wet mop” pad cleaning solution that calls for ammonia. I prefer the lemon scented, but use both.
      Debbie

Debbie,
      Can you share your recipe ?

@brchbell 90613 wrote:

. I can leave a bowl of ammonia in it closed up over night and in the morning after it airs out I just wipe all the baked on goo right out.

I have never heard of cleaning an oven this way. I’ll have to try this thanks..

Wish i could help here. I don’t use ammonia. I have to be very careful what I use in the house since my boyfriend has asthma the least little thing will trigger it.

The only thing that I have found that doesn’t bother him too much is the orange mister clean.

I havent opened it yet, but I sure would like to know how to make that wet mop… 🙂 My mother used to use baking soda to clean because when she cleaned homes alot of the people she cleaned for had allergies and asthma. 😉

I will give credit where credit is due….I got this recipe from the Dining on a Dime cookbook.

Recipe for Homemade wetmop (such as swiffer) cleaning solution:

For the mop pads a bought a bulk package of microfiber pads at Sam’s and cut them to the correct size. After use, I can throw them in with the regular wash and reuse.

1 gallon water
      1 cup ammonia
      1/2 cup vinegar

Mix ingredients and pour in an old swiffer wet mop container with precut microfiber pads or pour in the bottle of a ready mop bottle if you choose to use that brand or wet mop.

I’ve been using this method for a year now and my floors are always squeaky clean. Also, I usually halve the recipe as I don’t need quite that much at one time and haven’t been able to find a gallon container that I would like to use for the solution.

Debbie

Thank you – Thank you!!!! Dyankee your great!!!!!

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.