Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Breakfast Ideas Amish Cinnamon Bread

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

Amish Cinnamon Bread- this one is so good you should probably make two.

Batter:
      1 cup butter, softened
      2 cups sugar
      2 eggs
      2 cups buttermilk or 2 cups milk plus 2 tablespoons vinegar
      4 cups flour
      2 teaspoons baking soda

Cinnamon/Sugar mix:
      2/3 cups sugar
      2 teaspoons cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350F and grease a Large loaf pan or 2 normal size ones.

Cream Butter & sugar, then add eggs, mixing well. Add the buttermilk, flour and baking soda, mix lightly.

Pour half of the mixture into the loaf pan, sprinkle half of the cinnamon sugar on top. Pour the remaining half of the batter on top, sprinkle the rest of the cinnamon sugar on top, reserving about 2 tablespoons. Use a knife to swirl the cinnamon sugar through the batter.

Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tbs of cinnamon sugar.

Bake for 45-50 Minutes. Let cool 20 minutes before removing from pan

Participant

Oh, you are correct! Make two because the first one will go in a flash! LOL!

My batch made two from the recipe above! :O) My loaf pans must be small.

Participant

mopettis, that’s a good thing! LOL! As I mentioned in my post, one loaf would go in a flash.

This is freezable, so you could hide one for special occasions or weekends at the back of your freezer to serve at that time;-D

Hi, I’m assuming the flour in this recipe is Plain flour. Is that correct? Thanks—sounds yummy!

Hi, I’m assuming the flour in this recipe is Plain flour. Is that correct? Thanks—sounds yummy!

Participant

ASUMamma, I use all-purpose flour and it comes out great!

Participant

ASUMamma, I use all-purpose flour and it comes out great!

Thanks! Wanted to be sure before I made it!

Thanks! Wanted to be sure before I made it!

Participant

ASUMamma…let us know how your family likes it…

Participant

Very unhappy with  this recipe. I even read through the comments first and based on them,  used a large 10 x 5 loaf pan. I did put a cookie sheet lined with foil underneath it since I was concerned about it flowing  over… Which it did massively.  It did not take 50 minutes to bake and I have a thermometer in my oven So I know it was exact. It took an hour and a half and  it was still raw in the center. However, I took it out or the top sides and bottom would have been burnt.   After 20 minutes I had to still dig it out with a spoon  because the overflow sealed it against the pan like concrete when it over cooked.

Flavor is good and depending on what the family says, I may make it again but I will do it in two 9×5 loaf pans.  Dispatch is being dumped in a bowl oh and the pieces will be Eaten.

Participant

Oh My Goodness PoohB!  The only thing that I can think of that would cause something like this to happen is the type of flour.  Are you sure that you used All-Purpose flour and not Self-Rising?

This kind of burning and overflow may occur with using Self-Rising flour.  As mentioned, I use All-Purpose flour with great success.  So sorry this happened!  Please let us know after you have checked your flour.  Just to make sure that I don’t make any errors using the wrong flour, I label my canisters as to which kind of flour is contained:  AP flour, SR flour, WW flour (not that it really needs labelinggiggle smiley), C flour (cake flour), and B flour (bread flour).

Participant

I’m making this bread for a second time today. It is now a staple in our house. My son loves to take it to school in his lunchbox. I only have 1 loaf pan so I split the batter between My loaf pan and a Bundt pan and it works great. The family eats one loaf and I slice up the second and freeze in individual bags for lunchboxes. I also added 1/2 cup of milled flaxseed this time to bump up the protien. Thank you!!

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Breakfast Ideas Amish Cinnamon Bread