- January 9, 2009 at 2:56 am #269083
Ok I keep seeing Aldi’s pop up. What types of things do you save on at Aldi’s we have one but I havent been in there but once and didnt find anything then so I havent been back. I am a little afraid to try off names on some things.
Can anyone give me an idea on what brands are good in there and what products to stay away from?
- January 9, 2009 at 4:22 am #408942Aldi canned goods are good and cheap. I buy their stewed, diced and spicy tomatoes(the Ro-tel off brand) and they all cost $.45 which is good. Their vegetables are reasonable but if you have a Compare Foods close to you the produce will be cheaper there.
The $.99 salard dressing is great too. Some of their prices have really gone up but they are still a good option. They sell small appliances under the Crofton brand which they stand by.
I have recently returned a Pressure cooker after 2 years without any problems….great customer service. Hope this helps.
- January 9, 2009 at 10:08 am #408980I love Aldi! Ms Gee is right. I shop once a week there.
I get most of my canned goods and pantry items. They also have some meats and frozen foods. It is mostly their brand foods. I was told it was a farm co-op, but I am not sure.
My family loves the taste of everything. I have not found anything I did not like. I know that our store will allow you to return anything you do not like.Hope that helps.
- January 9, 2009 at 12:30 pm #409004
Thanks for your opinions, I have been wondering about Aldi food as well. I went back in October, which is when the one in our town first opened. I was disappointed because they didn’t have anything in stock that was in the sale flier that I thought I might like.
Maybe now that they have been open a few months they are better stocked and I will try them again.
- January 9, 2009 at 12:40 pm #409006Ms Gee,
Thanks for this tip. They sell small appliances under the Crofton brand which they stand by. THis is good to know, I’ve always walked past that section in the store.
I usually try to go to Aldi’s every two month’s to stock up. I’ve never found any canned goods that the family didn’t care for. Usually their milk & eggs are cheaper there also.
- January 9, 2009 at 3:41 pm #409032I’m also a big fan of Aldi’s. I don’t pay much attention to their flyer but know all the products I can get there that you don’t usually find coupons for. Their baking products, canola oil, sugar, flours, choc chips, etc.
can’t be beat in price. Their soups and veggies are also good. Haven’t tried their boxed potatoes or rices because I stock up on that stuff as well as pasta sauces when they go bogo and i have coupons, also don’t get much of their frozen things for the same reason(usually just buy fit n trim turkey meatball there).
the whipped topping (like cool whip) is good, as well as their ojconcentrate. always get their bread, hd &hb buns, bagels, english muffins. check their fresh meats, sometimes they have a $2 off sticker on them.The only cereal we get is the rice crispies and corn flakes and dh says they’re just as good, as well as the graham crackers and vanilla wafers.just try their products and keep a list of what you do and don’t like, we do that pretty much with all the different stores name brands and some things we won’t compramise on.
you won’t find everything you need at aldi’s but they pretty much keep the same stock and you will learn what you can save money on.
wish mine was located closer to me so i could go more often.i hate running out and having to pick something up that i know i could have gotten cheaper there.
- January 9, 2009 at 3:51 pm #409036
Thanks guys I will have to give them another try.
- January 9, 2009 at 4:52 pm #409054
We are Aldi shoppers as well. A couple of weeks ago one of the talk shows had on the cEO of Aldi and he said a lot of their canned/packged items are from name brand companies with the Aldi brand logo’s on them. Please give them a try.
- January 9, 2009 at 5:14 pm #409060Last time I went I got a magna-doodle for 3 bucks. But yeah they have good prices on canned goods and sometimes they have really good sales on their produce(but I suggest to look it over at least once to make sure its in good condition*) from what I remember.
- January 10, 2009 at 2:10 pm #409167
Great thanks all I will be stopping by ours in the next week or so.
- January 10, 2009 at 3:02 pm #409182
I especially love the frozen petite green beans at Aldi’s, they are very good. I also get the stirfry veggies and every so often the Romaine and peppers if they look good.Rhonda
@mdowdy 99710 wrote:
Ok I keep seeing Aldi’s pop up. What types of things do you save on at Aldi’s we have one but I havent been in there but once and didnt find anything then so I havent been back. I am a little afraid to try off names on some things.Can anyone give me an idea on what brands are good in there and what products to stay away from?
- January 10, 2009 at 3:05 pm #409183
I especially love the frozen petite green beans at Aldi’s, they are very good. Occassionally I may pick up a bag of Romaine and some green peppers. The price is usually very good.
- January 14, 2009 at 10:09 am #409827I shop there from time to time. I did not like the fact that you needed cash, they did not take bank debit cards or checks. also, forgot to have a quarter on me for the cart exchange and there bags (you buy) are very cheap.
will shop there more often now because, they now take bank debit cards and i have plenty of reusable tote bags to use.
i agree the canned googs and other pantry items are good, was not impressed with the meat, also the dairy items seemed to be a little higher in price (but they are high everywhere in mn).i worked at conagra foods for a short while on the granola bar line, i can tell you name brand and off brand are the same. the only differance is the packaging. everything went into the same hopper, the only thing we changed was the wrapper and display carton.
i found that their drink mixes (koolade, tea) where much cheaper, as well.
- January 29, 2009 at 4:51 pm #413027
Most Aldi’s products have a label that says double your money back guarantee. If you don’t like the product they will give you your money back and give you another item. There are a few things from Aldi we don’t like.I don’t like their coffee but a good friend of mine who is German says that Aldi coffe is ground very fine. She says this is how they get coffee in Germany so it may just be one of those things I am not used to. I prefer the Wal-mart brand of cream cheese and the wal-mart brand of vanilla creamer.
Of course in my humble opinion wal mart brand generic soda is hard to beat. We shop Aldis every week, we go their first because they don’t carry everything then whatever we can’t get at Aldi’s we buy at Wal-mart.
- January 30, 2009 at 1:14 am #413087
I use alot of cream soups and baking items and aldis is really cheap. We only have 5 grocery stores here and 3 of those are the same store. Aldis sugar is a 5lb bag for $1.89 and walmart’s is $2.99 for a 4lb bag!
- February 8, 2009 at 8:32 pm #414319Oh my goodness. I love Aldi’s and won’t shop anywhere else unless I have a really good coupon for it. I am not a meat eater so I can’t help you there. But I buy all the Cereal and p.butter, jelly, canned foods, veggies, frozen stuff. Plus the customer service is outstanding. I did do a comparison when I first started and we took pictures of everything we bought at Cub Foods and then the next week we went with our pictures in tow and found the same or even better of what we bought at Cub other than the brand name. We bought 300.00 worth of stuff at Cub and when we came out of Aldis we had spent the same amount and came out with 3 carts full plus save over one hundred bucks.
* Just a reminder, most of the items you get at Aldi’s are made by the brand name stuff you buy somewhere else.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.