Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Cooking for Two African-Style Vegetable Stew

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

got this from a friend’s mother who’s from one of those countries that no longer exists over there — she was a refugee, brought to the US — and she said I SHOULD share good things! LOL! this is fabulous…
      African-Style Vegetable Stew:idea:
      3/4 cup water
      1/2 cup canned garbanzo beans (use the rest to make a bit of hummus)
      1 parsnip, cut into thin slices
      1 zucchini, cut into small chunks
      1/2 sweet potato, peeled and cut into small chunks
      1/2 large onion, chopped
      1/4 jalapeno pepper, diced
      1 tbs golden raisins, or black
      1/4 tsp coriander seed, ground
      1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
      1/8 tsp ground ginger
      1/8 tsp turmeric, or curry powder
      1 pinch curry powder
      Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for about 30-35 minutes, or until all the vegetables are tender. 2 servings = about 195 calories. Serving suggestion: serve over rice or couscous.

What an unusual combination of flavors and spices. By just looking at it I’m not sure I would have ever tried putting all that together, but I have read your menus and recipes and when you say it is fabulous then I certainly believe it. May have to give this one a try. Thanks for the post.

I have to go with Niddi on this one I know I would have never have thought to put those flavors together but I am sooo excited to try it !!! Thanks for sharing it with us !!!!

Participant

ladies…let me tell you…if I had not had this for dinner at her house, I would NEVER have thought to make such a combination! LOL! I’ll sometimes get kinda crazy and do some interesting experiments, but not like this. when all of her family was together, she used to make this for a minimum of 8. since she’s alone now, except for visits from her daughter (bringing friends occasionally [lucky me!]), she only cooks a small amount and gave me the recipe for two — dinner for her one night and lunch for the next day — so I HAD to post it here!

Participant

man.. it sounds really REALLY good.

Participant

gotta try it! the flavors are sooo good;-)

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Cooking for Two African-Style Vegetable Stew