Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

Your totally right there. And being mildly ADHD myself on top of

having Fibromyalgia having a routine was/is very very hard. But Matt

can deal with change much better now

On 3/15/08, Erica Hager <ericahager2005@yahoo.com> wrote:

> april

>

> i totally agree! my son is high functioning autistic/aspbergers (ie high iq

> in some things but at times very bad autistic symptoms (anxiety, sensory

> issues, adhd obsessive, hand flapping etc.). one thing that helps most is

> routine, sticking to a schedule so he knows what happens next — sounds like

> the car incident was because she was “forced” to transition too quickly from

> talking to not talking more quickly then she would have liked. i have a

> copy of the kids school schedules posted at home and try to stick to those

> schedules during weekends and breaks in order to keep things consistent.

> alot of time aspbergers and autistic and adhd kids crave routine so they

> know what to expect and it gives them a chance to work through any anixety

> or sensory issues before the next task or event — egg timers, clocks etc

> are all great tools, even verbal reminders and cues or a pecs board like

> they have at school which shows pictures of the activity broken into

> smaller steps.

>

> we stick to pretty much the same daily schedule and once or twice weekly

> errand days but i schedule them tuesday and thursday (and wednesday if its a

> rough week), and we try to do most appts and errands in the am right after

> meds kick in, afternoons tend to be crazy from 4-5 until 7-9 (dinner and

> bedtime and baths) that is when meds are wearing off. also keeping the

> child on meds during breaks and weekends is vital, otherwise their whole

> body chemistry gets thrown out of whack, and the day they go back to a full

> dose they will be more “zombie-like” and when changing meds ask the doc to

> titrate the dose up in minimal increments that way you get maximum effect

> with minimum meds and minimum side effects. it means more visits but it is

> better that a child in that state been seen regularly anyway. make sure

> also they give you a worksheet for you and any teachers and caregivers to

> fill out to rate how the meds are working and take lots of notes. with my

> son there is a huge difference when he is on the right amount of meds you

> would never guess there was a problem, but if he is off meds its a whole new

> story — just ask anyone who has had to see me shop at publix at 5pm with my

> son as opposed to early in the day LOL……….ok ask anyone within a mile

> radius about the tantrums (too much noise, light, stimulation — sensory

> overload).

>

> hth

>

> erica

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.