64 ounces Hunt’s Tomato Paste
      64 ounces Hunt’s Tomato Purée
      1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
      1/3 cup cider vinegar
      2 tablespoons chili powder
      1 tablespoon pepper
      1 tablespoon celery seed
      3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon salt

Brown hamburger and onions in a very large skillet; drain. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 3 1/2 hours, stirring frequently as it will tend to stick.

This freezes very well. To get that authentic taste, use only Kogel franks and rehydrate dry minced onions in boiling water.

Are thr dehydrated onions a condiment for the hot dogs? Are any other condiments traditional? I’ve been looking for the recioe for a hot dog served in Harrisburg, PA called the “Spot Dog”, hope this is close.

Hello from Northern Minnesota, just joined and getting started.

Still have an A & W near my mom’s. Can’t wait to try this. Love their coney island sauce.

@MabelMartha 254167 wrote:

Are thr dehydrated onions a condiment for the hot dogs? Are any other condiments traditional? I’ve been looking for the recioe for a hot dog served in Harrisburg, pa called the “spot dog”, hope this is close.

yes, the dehydrated onions are used as a condiment to give a deeper onion taste instead of a sharp, raw onion taste.

cant waite to try theses recipes

This looks really close to the one I lost . thanks

Looks great, thank you! I think I’m going to can this, see how it comes out. I try not to fill up my freezer, things tend to get lost, lol.

mos
      Participant

Sooo…is this like a chili sauce for hot dogs? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but I’ve never been to Coney Island or an A&W.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Mixes~MYO~Copycat~Etc A & W Coney Island Sauce