- July 5, 2008 at 4:39 pm #259427
5 Swap Out Tricks
1. When making salad dressing for each Tbsp of pricey balsamic vinegar
use 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar and 1/2 tsp sugar
2. Instead of cooking with olive oil try canola which is half the price.
Save olive oil for dressings or tossing into pastas
3. Make creamy greek style yogurt by lining a strainer with several
layers of paper towels. Place over a bowl to catch the excess liquid.
Dump 1 quart plain low fat yogurt into strainer cover and store in
fridge overnight. This givess you the consistency that’s perfect for
sauces, dips or eating straight out of the bowl with honey and fruit
4. Lump crabmeat can set you back some. Instead of making crab cakes
make salmon cakes with canned salmon, (The red has more flavor but you
can use the pink also)
5. Lemons can get expensive: Try a crystalized lemon substitute (True
Lemon) for sauces, dressings or baking recipes
Life is like a jigsaw puzzle.But you don’t have the picture on the front
of the box to know what it’s supposed to look like.Sometimes you’re not
even sure if you have all the pieces.
- January 1, 2014 at 8:35 pm #447556
great tips! Will pass this on to dh who does most of the cooking.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.