2 Yummy Side Dishes

Holidays & Special Occasions Thanksgiving 2 Yummy Side Dishes

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

I have two. First, I highly recommend roasted Brussels sprouts. These are a family favourite now.

I was tired of making them as a traditional part of dinner that only grandad would eat. Now, no leftovers.
      Rinse Brussels sprouts then remove tough stems and dis colored leaves. Next, douse with olive oil, spread on a cookie sheet or large roasting pan.

One layer deep only or you won’t have the results you want. Put in oven preheated to 400-425 degrees. The outside may become slightly blackened but they are very good.

A little crispy, soft inside and very good tasting.
      Tips. Try to have uniform size. Cut big ones into two pieces.

For extra flavour sprinkle with garlic or onion salt.
      Thats it!

Second is everyone’s favourite, sweet potatoe or Yam baked in a slurry of brown sugar, butter, orange juice and cinamon. I’ve done these every which way depending on what’s going on in the oven. Quick way is to precook potatoe.

Microwave whole, bake whole or peel and boil. Once cooked you can mash them up and add sweetness, butter, orange, to taste. Put into a greased casserole dish and let it bake along with other dishes.

I sometimes garnish this with pecan halves placed in a pattern on top.
      I’ve also made this by slicing the yams or potatoes in a food processor. Then I’ve layered them thinly on a cookie sheet or shallow roasting pan, dressed with sprinkling with brown sugar, knobs of butter, and baked in the oven until done. This way they are more like candied potatoes and suits a smaller gathering of people.
      Good Luck and mmmm.

Mmm Good.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Holidays & Special Occasions Thanksgiving 2 Yummy Side Dishes