10 Steps to a Perfect Turkey

Holidays & Special Occasions Thanksgiving 10 Steps to a Perfect Turkey

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      mos

obviously this is not for you seasoned cooks! LOL! this is for those that are faced with the ‘beast’ for the first time and they don’t want to make a mistake;-) use this information, as my DD did for her first time, and then you can play…the first turkey is the toughest to make, but you will survive and have a wonderful dinner!
      10 Steps to a Perfect Turkey:091:
      1. Thaw frozen turkey in refrigerator. Remove wrapper. Heat oven to 300 degrees F.
      2. Remove neck from body cavity and giblets from neck cavity…very important that you check both ends!!! Cut wings off at first joint.
      3. Cook neck, giblets, (except for liver, as it is too bitter [we can discuss liver usage if you’d like!]) and wings in large roasting pan with 2 cups onions, 1 cup celery, 2 bay leaves, 1 tsp thyme, 1/2 tsp black pepper and 2 quarts cold water. Cook until meat is tender and no longer pink in center.
      a. Remove meat from neck bone.
      b. Save stock, and dice meat and giblets to be used in your favorite dressing recipe (don’t have one yet? let me know and I’ll share one of my four standard recipes that I rotate for Thanksgiving and Yule).
      c. Never stuff your bird. Instead, cook stuffing in a covered baking dish (I’m open to discussion to this…I do stuff my bird, but I don’t recommend for rookies).
      4. Rinse turkey inside and out with cold water. Season cavity with salt and white pepper.
      5. Place one large or two medium peeled onions in the cavity.
      6. Rub skin lightly with vegetable oil.
      7. Place turkey in roaster bag. Bake at 300 degrees F.
      8. Check for doneness 1/2 hour before is turkey is expected to be done. Turkey is fully cooked when thigh’s internal temperature is 180 degrees F (yes, I said thigh and not breast). [If you don’t own a thermometer, go get one! It’ll be your best friend forever in the kitchen! Promise!!]
      9. When cooked thoroughly, let turkey stand 10 to 15 minutes before carving.
      10. Remember that each bird is different because of age, sex, and weight.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Holidays & Special Occasions Thanksgiving 10 Steps to a Perfect Turkey