Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that is produced by burning any type of fuel. Most common sources of carbon monoxide in the home are:

  • oil furnace
  • gas furnaces
  • gas water heaters
  • gas ranges and
  • gas ovens
  • gas dryers
  • gas or kerosene space heaters
  • using charcoal indoors
  • fireplaces
  • wood stoves
  • Vehicles left running in a garage

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Include:


  • headaches
  • dizzy spells
  • mentally confused
  • nausea
  • fainting
  • lethargy


Make sure that chimney flues are working properly and that any heating units are properly vented. Never use charcoal or gas grills Inside the home for heating purposes.