Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Is it ReALLY possible to only spend $200/mo??

I just joined the forums but I've been browsing the budget101 website for a long while and I have decided next month to try to make a go of keeping our budget below 0---is it really possible!?!??! do any of you do it? any tips? i have read the e-book that is on the website (a GREAT read!) so i have those tips under my belt..just wondering if you can offer anymore! thank you!!!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bargaingirl For This Useful Post:

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Is it ReALLY possible to only spend $200/mo??

The last couple of months we've been closer to $250 a month for our family of 4. Part of this is due to the fact that our boys are now Both teenagers & more often than not, their friends are hanging out here at the house. I have been working on a new release to the ebook, particularly since I wrote it nearly 10 years ago now. Unfortunately, it's a time consuming task and time has been in short supply around here the last few months. One thing that really hasn't changed at all over the years is to make your own convenience foods. The more, the merrier.

It's really helpful if you can grab your last grocery receipt to look and see what you have a tendency to spend the most money on. THEN figure out which areas to trim first.
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Interestingly enough, I was watching the today show this morning and it had an update on a family with Septuplets who reportedly that they've lived on groceries for under $300 a month for all of them. 7 kids and 2 adults on $300- now THAT is Awesome!
    I'm a Freak!

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I can use all the help in the world trying to budget my food bill down to 200$ or under a month but it's hard when you have 3 adults and 2 kids, one of which is the eater and loves fresh veggies and fruits...not complaining about that but when you go through 3 gallons of milk in half a month at 2.53 a gallon it gets costly.

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, it's Definitely Possible, we've been doing it for over a decade. Our $50 weekly grocery menu is posted on the site every single week.

We have 2 adults, 2 Teenage boys (with seemingly Hollow legs) and their friends, more often than not.

Btw, Milk at only $2.53 a gallon is quite a bargain! The Cheapest I've seen in over a year is $3.00 a gallon.

On the Fruit/Veggie eater- do you buy in bulk & freeze/can/dehydrate the veggies/fruits in season?

I'm actually in the process of revamping our ebook and our anticipated Release date is Thanksgiving Day, it will be available on Kindle, Barnes & Noble and of course, here on the site.
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Liss View Post
    Yes, it's Definitely Possible, we've been doing it for over a decade. Our $50 weekly grocery menu is posted on the site every single week.

We have 2 adults, 2 Teenage boys (with seemingly Hollow legs) and their friends, more often than not.

Btw, Milk at only $2.53 a gallon is quite a bargain! The Cheapest I've seen in over a year is $3.00 a gallon.

On the Fruit/Veggie eater- do you buy in bulk & freeze/can/dehydrate the veggies/fruits in season?

I'm actually in the process of revamping our ebook and our anticipated Release date is Thanksgiving Day, it will be available on Kindle, Barnes & Noble and of course, here on the site.
    I do can up veggies that we grew, and I have frozen some of them too, I'm currently working on my own pumpkin puree because I got lucky and was handed 5 pumpkins ontop of my pumpkin. So happy that I can make pumpkin puree sine the stores want almost 4$ a can.

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

the last grocery receipt is a very good idea. That helps me know where to start. Thanks so much for that tid bit of info!!!!