Budgeting - How's to

Here's the scoop - I'm single - never been married - my parents helped me by my house - I have a full time job and I do private dog obedience lessons and pet sitting as a side job to earn extra money but it doesn't come in regularly. At my full time job I get paid 2 times a month sometimes 3 if

budget, budgeting, cards, care, cat, cat food, clear, credit card, debt, dog, food, frugal, idea, list, money, pets, purchase, recipes, treat, year, full, horses, time, spending, house, bills, feed, dog/cat, debt/checking, brandi, trips, tips, discipline, greatly, card, dogs, successful, appreciated, balance, keeping, emergency, obedience, private, lessons, sitting, earn, side, hows, married, single

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Budgeting - How's to

Here's the scoop - I'm single - never been married - my parents helped me by my house - I have a full time job and I do private dog obedience lessons and pet sitting as a side job to earn extra money but it doesn't come in regularly. At my full time job I get paid 2 times a month sometimes 3 if I'm lucky

I also have 3 cats, 1 dogs and 2 horses...

I have 2 spending cards - they're like debt/checking cards... I originally got 2 for house bills and one for the pets - dog/cat food, feed for the horses, vet emergency trips etc... and I have not been successful on keeping a balance on the pet spending card.

So any tips on how to discipline me would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you
    Brandi

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Budgeting - How's to

I have 2 spending cards - they're like debt/checking cards... I originally got 2 for house bills and one for the pets - dog/cat food, feed for the horses, vet emergency trips etc... and I have not been successful on keeping a balance on the pet spending card
    I'm not too clear on the spending card thing...

1. you said they're like debit/checking cards - so do they immediately come out of your bank account?
    2. Or are they like "PrePaid" cards and you can't keep a balance on them because you use them too often,
    3. or like a Credit Card- that charges you interest and you can't pay them down . . .

On the frugal horse care- do you buy your hay or bail it yourself? Do have enough room to board someone elses horse in exchange for them providing the hay/grain to both or yours and theirs as well? We've done this in the past, boarded our horse at someone elses farm and we provided the hay and grain each month. Since we live in Horse Country (lots of shows here!) it can easily run $400-1,000 per month in boarding. (Obviously, you would be doing this backwards- you'd be providing the barn & feeding/caring for the animal & the owner would be providing the hay/grain.
    Do you buy your grain locally? If so, have you asked them if they will give you a discount if you buy a certain number of bags at a time. For example, here, our local feed store will let me purchase 50# bags for $6.28 if I buy at least 10 at a time. Otherwise, it's nearly $1 more per bag. Which doesn't sound like much, but adds up quickly over the course of the year. In addition, if you stop to figure out how much money you save in gas by purchasing larger amounts and making less frequent trips. Of course this all entirely dependent on whether you have room to store it away from mice, fireants and other nasties.
    Do you have a farrier or do you trim your horses yourself?

Do you handle any of your own vet care (do you vaccinate them yourself rather than paying hefty vet bills), worm them yourself, etc? I know with ours, I purchase the vaccines at Tractor Supply or on ValleyVet.com and administer them myself. It saves us HUNDREDS of dollars per year.

Here is a rather large list of Do It Yourself Pet Care recipes:

Budget101.com - - Pet Care and Treat Recipes for dogs-cats-horses-bird

As far as getting paid Bi-Weekly- do you make approximately the same amount each time you get paid (so you have an idea of how much you can budget for?) If so, then here is an easy beginners budget that will help you get on track with your spending:

Budget101.com - - Easy Envelope Budgeting for Beginners

Oh, btw, welcome to the site
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Budgeting - How's to

The spending cards are not credit cards, they do not have interest on them. I have my paycheck automatically deposited onto one of the cards. When you use the card it does take it off your balance. And if the money is not in your account then the system the store that you're at will decline it.

I board my horses and my barn owner supplies the hay. I buy my own grain, I do have a farrier come out to trim my horses. I do buy my vaccinations and my horses are pretty healthy, no major vet bills and they're in horse safe fencing so I don't have major injuries... I do have a well supplied first aide kit.

Thank you for the links on the pets and the budget for beginners.