All Cooped Up! How to Build a Chicken Coop

You can view the page at http://www.budget101.com/content.php?r=2879-how-to-build-a-chicken-coop

article, bricks, budget, budget101, build, chicken, content, ground, hat, hey, how to, large, long, page, tent, turn, update, url, view, http://www.budget101.com/content.php?r=2879-how-to-build-a-chicken-coop, coop, cooped

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Article: All Cooped Up! How to Build a Chicken Coop

~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

That is exactly what we are doing next. Good advise for the bricks and digging below the soil line, I had not thought of that.

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

**Update** Turn the bricks long way (Tall) so that they can be buried deeper in the ground if you have large predators around. We had bobcats digging under, trying to get in to ours.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Great project. Hardware cloth "shelf" is vert inovative. Hardware cloth can also be extended 6" along ground at bottom of walls to
    discourage digging varmints. Same application inside coop deters occupants from digging out.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cats will decapitate poultry if the birds stretch their heads through the wire. I found this out the hard way when someone left the door of my quail barn open. Whn I came into the barn the next day, I found the external feeders full of blood and the chicken's heads gone. Two large cats were sitting on the top cage waiting for the next victim. I solved the problem by attaching a piece of poultry netting at the top and at an angle at the bottom so that the bottom was farther out by about eight inches. If the bird stuck their heads our to eat the cats could not reach them. -Jane

Smart Budgeter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

We have never lost a chicken to anything but natural causes. Our solution to predators?

A bigger predator. For us nothing has worked better than a German Shepherd who's been notified the chickens are mine. The coop is in the middle of a large fenced dog yard.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I really like the idea with the bricks, too. We just have got some chickens so we're learning as we go. But, I know we'll be getting more in the future and I can't wait to use these ideas!

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

My cats do not bother my chickens. I even have them out in the yard together. Couldn't you put hardware cloth on the bottom of the cage when you build it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast