~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is the 1/2 c milk mixed with the active yogurt from the heated milk, or is it cold milk?

Deal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

from the heated milk- which has (been removed from the heat) & cooled (on it's own by resting away from heat) to between 110-115 degrees.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Homemade Yogurt in the Crock Pot Recipe

1/2 gallon milk (Whole milk will make the yogurt thicker, but any milk will work.)
    1/2 cup plain unflavored yogurt (Any kind with live active cultures will work. Be sure to save a half cup of this batch of homemade yogurt to use as a starter next time!)
    Pour the half gallon of milk into your crock pot and turn it on low. Cook it for 2 hours and 45 minutes (set the timer to remember to turn it off!)

After 2 hours and 45 minutes, turn the crock pot off and let it sit down 3 hours.

Spoon a small amount of the milk into a small bowl and add the half cup of yogurt to it. Mix together thoroughly.

Dump this mixture back into the milk in the crock pot and mix it around well.

Put the lid back on your crock pot and wrap the crock pot with a large beach towel or blanket (make sure the crock pot is unplugged and turned off!). Yes, I know, it sounds a little ridiculous to wrap a crock pot with a beach towel, but I did some research online and it seems that the experts recommend this step as it helps keep the heat in the crock pot and allows it to cool more slowly.

Let the beach-towel-wrapped crock pot sit for 8-12 hours (or overnight). After 8-12 hours, it should be thickened.

Spoon yogurt into jars or plastic containers and refrigerate a few hours before eating.

This will keep for one to two weeks in the refrigerator. Be sure to save a half cup to use as a starter for your next batch of homemade yogurt.

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

These are great instructions. And what money savers! Yogurt prices have gone through the roof!

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

The recipe says any kind of milk, can you use reconstituted dry milk? My hubby loves yogurt and it is expensive!

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is interesting will have to try it. So glad I found this site.

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

Has anyone had problems with cold sores after eating store bought yogurt but tried homemade and didn't have a reaction? I love yogurt but can't eat it because of the reaction. I am curious if it is just a reaction for store bought because of the citric acid ( I am very sensitive to this- citric fruits are not on my enjoy list either). I can't figure out if the citric acid is something that is naturally in this or if its an unneeded additive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast