Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default freezing homemade burritos

I am always buying burrito shells in large quantities and freezing because I have tuna in a shell everyday at work for lunch. recently I made a bunch of bean and beef and bean burritos and froze them but when I thawed them out the shells were kind of, not sure how to describe it but mushy, slimy sort of. does anyone make their own and freeze them, is it something I am doing?

thanx

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: freezing homemade burritos

Are you freezing the shells by themselves at first, then thawing, filling, and then freezing the burritos?? If that is true, the tortilla shells are having all the moisture drawn out of them which would make them definitely mushy. Have you tried baking the burritos briefly in the oven first before freezing. That might improve your results.
    I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
    Are you freezing the shells by themselves at first, then thawing, filling, and then freezing the burritos?? If that is true, the tortilla shells are having all the moisture drawn out of them which would make them definitely mushy. Have you tried baking the burritos briefly in the oven first before freezing. That might improve your results.
    thanx I am not sure if they were frozen first, but probably I will try it with fresh ones and will also try the oven thing

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I cook mine in the oven then package them for the freezer. I haven't had any problems but I use all fresh items to cook with.

What's a Budget?
    Western NY State; I live in a very rural farming community. (Not the City!)
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have made up fresh ones, and frozen them with success. I try to make sure there isn't too much liquid in the seasoning; I mix beans in (unless my kids are watching), I usually try to let the meat cool. Then I wrap each burrito individually; flash freeze and then put in a large baggie.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've only frozen the filling before, with really good success, but after seeing this thread, I'm going to try these suggestions.

Deal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Normally when we make ours, I take the tortilla, fill it with whatever fillings (refried beans, seasoned meat -chicken or beef), sauteed onions and peppers, cheese on top) than fold them into shape and slide them, uncooked onto cookie sheets. I place the entire cookie sheet into the freezer, freeze'm and then take them out and slide the frozen burritos into vacuum seal bags (or ziploc bags).
    When we're ready to use them I usually place 4-6 in a casserole dish, top lightly with salsa, or enchilada sauce or a sprinkle of cheese and bake at 350F for about 50-55 minutes. I do NOT thaw them out first. I have not had any problems with them being "mushy" at all.
    ~Enjoy!~

FreebieQueen

Like Budget101 on Facebook!
    Join us on Twitter #Budget101

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I do the same and it works for breakfast burritos, too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast