Thread: Basic Cake Mix

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Has anyone vacuumed sealed this recipe and had it store for longer? I'm looking at making emergency mixes and such for later on and need them to last at least a year vacuumed sealed.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Basic Cake Mix

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrycuisine View Post
    Has anyone vacuumed sealed this recipe and had it store for longer? I'm looking at making emergency mixes and such for later on and need them to last at least a year vacuumed sealed.
    According to the Crisco website, it has a shelf life of a year after it has been opened. The rest are staples, so I can't see why it wouldn't last longer, especially if vacuumed sealed.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

If I didn't want to add the Crisco to the recipe (I prefer to use butter or lard) how much would I add with the milk and eggs. If the original recipe makes 16 cups I assume you can make about 5 cakes with the original recipe. Without the Crisco, the mix makes about 14 1/2 cups divided by 5 would be about 2 and 7/8 cups of mix. Is this right???

Unregistered

Default Re: Basic Cake Mix

Quote Originally Posted by dansea4 View Post
    If I didn't want to add the Crisco to the recipe (I prefer to use butter or lard) how much would I add with the milk and eggs. If the original recipe makes 16 cups I assume you can make about 5 cakes with the original recipe. Without the Crisco, the mix makes about 14 1/2 cups divided by 5 would be about 2 and 7/8 cups of mix. Is this right???
    The basic mix recipe calls for 2 & 1/2 cups of Crisco...divided by 5 (the approx # of cakes the mix will make) it would be 1/2 cup of your chosen fat.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

If making an 8x8 would you just use 1/2 of everything?