Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Not sure if it was my fault or not but this mix was not light and fluffy like i like. It seemed a bit hard and dry.

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Make Your Own Yellow Cake Mix

What do you by the Mix was hard and dry? Did you use fresh ingredients? I've made a bunch of these and they always come out great. They aren't supposed to feel like store bought cake mix and the powdered milk can be measured separately and put on top (in another baggie) if you're going to store it for a long time. Maybe the dry milk is absorbing the moisture and making it seem harder.
    I'm a Freak!

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

So for the mix...do you add in the shortening with everything even if you are going to put it in a jar in the pantry or is that if you are going to make it right away? I saw you should put the dry milk in another baggie also if storing for a while

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

What is meant by 1 Jar Mix listed under "To Make The Cake?" Is it the previous ingredients mixed together, if so, what size jar is used to measure the mix with the eggs, water and vanilla extract?

Deal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Make Your Own Yellow Cake Mix

Quote Originally Posted by Sissycat View Post
    What is meant by 1 Jar Mix listed under "To Make The Cake?" Is it the previous ingredients mixed together, if so, what size jar is used to measure the mix with the eggs, water and vanilla extract?

The Mix recipes are often given as gifts, as such they state how many "Mixes" each one makes. In this case, 1 jar of mix. The mixes either fit in a pint size or Quart size jar. The easiest way to tell which jar they fit in is by looking at the quantities of ingredients. If they = 2 cups or less they fit in a pint size jar. If they = 4 to 5 cups or less they fit in a quart jar. (Dry ingredients settle)

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I also found this mix to be hard and dry. Not at all moist or fluffy like a box mix would be.

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

To those who complained of the cake being hard and dry: I haven't tried this recipe yet as I'm not at home this month, but I always beat my mixes longer than called for to incorporate more air, then I leave them "rest" while I grease/flour the pan. I pour the batter carefully, as not to disturb the mixture. I also bake on the shorter side of the time, making sure it's 'just' done as it will continue to bake after removal from the oven. Also, Mom always taught me to drop the cake pan a time or two on the counter to get the air bubbles out but that makes the cake hard and dry. My cakes, even the ones from scratch some out light.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast