Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have been making these fire starters for years. For the wax, you can also use old candles or sometimes pick up old candles in the free box at yard sales.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wonderful and a whole lot cheaper. Just be mindful not to use them for an indoor fireplace or stove. The wax buildup can start a chimney fire if they are used consistently.

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

I used to make fire starters with my Girl Scout Troops. The first year was a little disappointing. I picked up saw dust from a local mill. We had problems getting them started. Turns out they gave me dust from plywood. The glue in them contains fire retardent so they were hard to light. Make sure you use whole wood dust. We used left over candles I got from rummage sales and old egg cartons. The cardboard cartons could be lit from the corners and worked great. Then is was a time to keep the mosquito spray away from the flames.....

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Barbecue Fire Starters

Quote Originally Posted by MamaSmurf View Post
    I used to make fire starters with my Girl Scout Troops. The first year was a little disappointing. I picked up saw dust from a local mill. We had problems getting them started. Turns out they gave me dust from plywood. The glue in them contains fire retardent so they were hard to light. Make sure you use whole wood dust. We used left over candles I got from rummage sales and old egg cartons. The cardboard cartons could be lit from the corners and worked great. Then is was a time to keep the mosquito spray away from the flames.....
    Save your dryer lint try using it next time. I did this with my Campfire girls and ended up using it all the time - camping backyard BBQs, at the park. Worked great.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, this is most helpful.As I have no access to wood chips the suggestion of dryer lint is perfect.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

This sounds perfect for our family. We do a lot of camping, and store bought Fire starters are expensive!! It works out perfectly-I have loads of candle wax and my husband has a wood work shop. Will definitely give this a try, thanks.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have found that the dryer lint works so much better than the wood shavings or chips.