Thread: Newbie

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Newbie

I am recently out of work and need some ways to cut cost in every area. Any sugguestions?

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Newbie

Hi Joey,

My husbands been laid off for going on 3 years now and it's been a rough go. Here's a short list of some of the things we've done.

-changed car insurance companies, we are saving almost half now
    -changed our telephone & internet service. Called to see what they could offer and they bundled it into a package where we are saving at least a third, and we didn't lose any services. We gained some like caller ID, call waiting, and an answering service mailbox.
    -we change trash haulers from Waste management to a local company and now we are saving over $200 a year
    -we cut cable, that took some getting used to. We watch Hulu on the computer and lots of DVD & tapes. we have an converter box and can get some channels.
    -we pack food and drink every time we leave the house so we never have to stop and get something to eat or drink.
    -i now make everything from scratch, I make up my own mixes and that has really lowered our food cost
    -my husband increased the amount of plants he planted in the garden and we began freezing produce for the Fall and Winter months
    -I found several food salvage stores in our area, it really helps keep the food bill down
    -I started shopping at the farmers market on Sunday nights right before closing time. The farmer don't want to haul the stuff back home and they sell it cheap.
    -I put heavy blankets under all our curtains to keep the cold out in the Winter.
    -We keep the air conditioner off as much as possible in the Summer
    -we started hang our clothes instead of using the dryer
    -we turn off all lights
    -I found a cheaper doctor
    -I went around to all the drug stores for a list of their $4. $6 & $10 medications. I carry them with me to the MD's. If we need medication he is handed the list and informed that whatever he wants us to take must be on one of those lists or we won't be taken it.
    -Any clothing is purchased at GoodWill or thrift stores with the exception of underwear and shoes
    -make homemade laundry detergent and cleaning solutions
    -started using coupons
    -only buy loss leaders at food stores
    -we only go to the budget movie theater, if at all
    -get pets shots at a discount vet clinic at the pet food store

These are things we don't do but may help

-Angel food boxes are great, they really help with the food budget and they even have gluten free boxes and produce boxes
    -some electric companies have off peak hours where eletric is less, so people do laundry then. Have to call co. to sign up.
    -some churches have clothes pantries
    -get signed up at a local church for the food pantry
    -have a yard sale
    -sell your gold

I hope these things help. I hope you get back to work really soon

Mama Bear