Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Does Anyone Dehydrate?

My DS1 just ordered us an Excaliber dehydrator. I had a cheapy one once and it was useless. I'm hoping this more expensive brand will work better. I do have questions though and was hoping maybe someone here would be of assistance.

1) how long can I keep dried foods

2) how do I store dried foods

3) what can I make with dried foods. Anyone have any recipes?

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Does Anyone Dehydrate?

I dehydrate all the time, everything from strawberries to green onions to making jerky. congratulations on expanding your food budget! dried foods, depending on the food itself and if properly dried can keep anywhere from 6 months to longer. You can dry pretty much anything. fruits can be bought when the price is low and you can do things like dried fruit for trail mix to puree the fruit to make fruit leather. things like buying a bunch of green onions, putting them in water and chopping off what you need to dry when it grows too big helps a lot when you use green onion often. when you put dried foods in the freezer, you have at least couple of years of use.

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow! I love that tip about the green onions! and I love that I can keep foods for so long if kept in the freezer. I'm really hoping that I enjoy this method of perserving food. It seems quite easy and I'm excited for it to get here so I can get started.

Thanks for taking the time to post,
    Mama Bear

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had an excaliber dryer about 20 years ago, and loved it. My favorite thing to dry was apple slices. Slice tart apples thin, dip in water with lemon juice and dry. They were so delicious I couldn't keep the kids out of them. Unfortunately, I had a friend borrow my dryer when they movedthey took it with them, so now I improvise. I use the car or dry in the sun on window screens on the trampoline. On hot days the extra air circulation means that you can have everything dry within an afternoon's time.

This year I dried grapes (raisins), zucchini, onions, sage, mint, carrots, peaches, celery (remove strings before drying), apricots, tomatoes, red/yellow/green sweet peppers, Anaheim peppers, leeks, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, green peas and spinach. I made some into vegetable soup mixes. Combined broccoli, cheese sauce mix, powdered milk, misc spices, coffee creamer and potato flakes to make a quick broccoli cheese potato soup mix.

The sun dried fruit seems to keep longer than the fruit dried in a dryer for some reason. I store the fruits in plastic bags and they go in the freezer as do soup mixes made from dried vegetables. I store the others in my pantry in clear 1# plastic deli containers. I usually drop a cheap vitamin c tablet into the container and the peppers and tomatoes in particular maintain their bright colors and flavors. I try to use up what I've dried within 6 months if at all possible. The freezer stuff I have kept for a couple of years - some of the fruits that are dried will turn dark in the freezer if they are not sealed tightly, so be forewarned. They are still good to eat or cook with. -Jane

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dried food takes longer to rehydrate than freeze-dried food and the amount of soaking time prior to using will vary from 10 min for herbs to and hour for some fruits. For most heavy dried foods soak in hot water for about an hour. For herbs and leafy dried foods soak in cool water for about 10 minutes. The amount of time to rehydrate will depend on how old the dried food is and the drying temperature.

If foods are accidentally cooked as they dehydrate they will require more soaking time, and some dried foods may never rehydrate. I over-dried mushrooms once and they never plumped back up, so I put the dried mushrooms in a grinder and used the powder to make mushroom soup base.

Take a small amount of the dried food and soak it, testing it every few minutes, it should plump up and take on a slightly rubbery texture when it is ready to use. Since my dried foods are home dried and the temperature and humidity during drying varies greatly depending on the weather, testing the batch is the best way for me to get an idea of how long to soak it and how much to use in the recipe.

Freebies Make My Day
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lokilove View Post
    things like buying a bunch of green onions, putting them in water and chopping off what you need to dry when it grows too big helps a lot when you use green onion often.
    Today I bought some green onions, I put them in a glass with some water and set them on the counter. THEY WILTED, what did I do wrong, I was kinda under the impression that they would continue to grow in the water?? How can I get them to come back to life, so I can use them at least 1 time??
    Hope Everyone Is Enjoying The Day. Best Wishes From MN ~ Pamela

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jkpjohnson View Post
    Today I bought some green onions, I put them in a glass with some water and set them on the counter. THEY WILTED, what did I do wrong, I was kinda under the impression that they would continue to grow in the water?? How can I get them to come back to life, so I can use them at least 1 time??
    Too much water and if it was tap water/city water it can have minerals in it or additives from the city water (like bleach/chlorine). I usually place just the bottoms (the rounded white part) in just a tad of water, fill the cover of a baby food jar and stand them up in that. Literally just a Tbs or so of water