What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've just recieved my vanilla beans from Amazon and I'm picking up the alcohol tonight! Can't wait to try this! Thanks so much!!

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've been making my own vanilla for years for myself and as gifts in pretty jars. The recipe I use calls for 2 plump vanilla beans sliced lengthwise and then cut into 1/2 inch sections. Place vanilla pieces in - 4 oz jar and top it odd with Cognac or Brandy. Store in a cool, dark pantry and shake every couple of days. In 2-3 weeks, you'll have the best vanilla you've ever tasted. the beans should hold enough flavor that you can refill the jar once more with the Cognac before discarding the beans and starting over.
    Thanks for sharing! Tblufox from Derby, Kansas

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow I am always out of vanilla extract, this will keep that from happening, thanks

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I make vanilla with bourbon. It has a rich flavor and is delicious. It makes a darker colored vanilla.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've been doing this for years as well, but I like a very strong vanilla flavor and make mine in bulk since I wait a minimum of 3 months before using (makes a big difference, trust me!) I do 1 pound of chopped vanilla beans per 1 gallon of super cheap vodka and it works amazingly well! This amount usually lasts me about 2 years, and I use a ridiculous amount of vanilla! Definitely can be a little pricey up front, but it's definitely worth it, especially because I wait until the beans go on sale. Last time I was able to get 1 pound of Madagascar beans for $65 including shipping!

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

I also have been making my own vanilla for a long time, I have found the best prices are on eBay for vanilla beans. I prefer to let mine sit for several months too.