Article: Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix- vBCms Comments

You can view the page at http://www.budget101.com/content.php?r=929-Hidden-Valley-Ranch-Dressing-Mix

article, budget, budget101, buttermilk, content, dressing, fat, flavor, hidden, hidden valley ranch dressing, mix, page, ranch, sour, tent, url, valley, view, work, http://www.budget101.com/content.php?r=929-hidden-valley-ranch-dressing-mix

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

We use 1/2 C Mayo and 1/2 C SOUR CREAM. It makes it nice and thick and gives it that "little something extra"!!!

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Budget101,

I made this today, so i could make a bacon ranch noodle salad. It turned out great just thiner than the storebought. Our family rated it a 10!!

Thanks,
    BleedingAce

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do you have to use buttermilk or will 2% milk work as well?

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Article: Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix

Quote Originally Posted by ballowh View Post
    Do you have to use buttermilk or will 2% milk work as well?
    No, you really can't use 2% milk and have the flavor be close. Buttermilk (despite it's name and consistency) is low in fat and has a slightly sour flavor. 2% Milk contains butterfat and does not have the same flavor or consistency.
    I'm a Freak!

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

My daughter loves ranch and I am eager to try this as I am always looking for a great tasting ranch recipe and it looks like this will do it!! Thanks for sharing.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am anxious to try this, we love Hidden Valley Ranch and it is so expensive. I want to cut the recipe down to try it and I don't want to buy a whole thing of buttermilk. I usually use an emergency substitution when a recipe calls for buttermilk. You stir 1 TBS of white vinegar or lemon juice into 1 cup milk and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Do you think this will this work?

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am going to give this a try, my wife loves ranch dressing..

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

When I make this I use powdered buttermilk and therefore I can use 2% milk

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have been using this recipe for quite a few years now and love it. In the last few years I have ahd to watch the fat intake, due to high cholesterol. I love salads and I do not like fat free dressings, hat is until this Greek yogurt fad has made its way around, wow instead of sour cream I use this with no fat milk, it makes an awesome dressing, I had my dietician figure the calories and it worked out to be about 50 calories for a 1/4 cup of dressing, and almost no fat count and tastes wonderful. The catch is to make sure you let it set in the fridge so the flavors can bloom. All hale to the one who made this recipe, you let me have my favorite dressing and still can stay on my diet, oh and I take the garlic and onion salt out and salt each dressing to taste. Thanks for this recipe Not to mention the money you will save.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am going to try this asap, whole family loves " Hidden Valley" and yes it is so expensive and I'm definitely
    looking to cut the grocery bill .....Sounds like a good place to start....TY

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

any idea how to make this without the saltines?

still digging' my way out
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Made this recipe today. It was yummy, however I didn't have buttermilk soooo I used the mayo but subbed 1/2 c. sour cream and 1/2 c. 2% milk for the buttermilk. A little thinner but very tasty. I made only a half batch to try but will be making more. My brother eats the stuff on sandwiches all the time so this will be a money saver. Just one packet costs over a buck where we are.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi I want to make this but can anyone tell me how many tablespoons of this would equal one packet of store bought mix? I have a soup I want to try this in too and it calls for a packet but not sure how much to use.

Unregistered

Thumbs up Re: Article: Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix

Quote Originally Posted by Nonnie View Post
    I am anxious to try this, we love Hidden Valley Ranch and it is so expensive. I want to cut the recipe down to try it and I don't want to buy a whole thing of buttermilk. I usually use an emergency substitution when a recipe calls for buttermilk. You stir 1 TBS of white vinegar or lemon juice into 1 cup milk and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Do you think this will this work?
    It should work. I use the vinegar/milk recipe when I make the store bought mix.