Article: Automatic Dishwasher Detergent- vBCms Comments

You can view the page at http://www.budget101.com/content.php?r=1798-Automatic-Dishwasher-Detergent

age, agent, article, automatic, budget, budget101, cup, detergent, dishwasher, dishwashing, drops, hand, liquid, page, rinse, spot, tent, view, vinegar, wrong, http://www.budget101.com/content.php?r=1798-automatic-dishwasher-detergent

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

We tried this and our dishes come out chalky. Is there something we missed?

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Article: Automatic Dishwasher Detergent

You may have used too much or you might have hard or soft water. Also, how did you add the vinegar during the rinse cycle? That can make a difference too. I've used this with "ok" results, but I also add 1/4 c. ascorbic acid (vitamin c powder) to my recipe.
    Cutie-Pie

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am thinking about doing this, but this is my first time. My question is can you put the vinegar in the rinse agent area (like the "Jet Dry" stuff) before you start the load?

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I recommend you not use baking soda. Use washing soda instead (you'll find it in the detergents aisle).
    Use 1 cup Borax, 1 cup washing soda, 1/4 cup kosher salt (this helps with hard water stains if you have normally chalky glasses), and 2 packs of Kool Aid lemonade (unsweetened little packs). Mix this together and store in an airtight container. Use 2 tbsp in dishwasher compartment. Put just 3 drops of liquid hand dishwashing detergent and 3/4 cup of vinegar (this gives it that awesome shine).
    This works very well and is still cheaper than store bought generics.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

You can use the lemishine in the dishwasher aisle instead of kool aide. And I put the vinegar right in the rinse agent area and I have had no problem. I recommend both if you are having the cloudy issue. We have very hard water and the dishes don't come out perfect, but they are better. You can also toss some borax in the bottom of your dishwasher to help (directions on the back of the borax box)

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by flredheadmom View Post
    I recommend you not use baking soda. Use washing soda instead (you'll find it in the detergents aisle).
    Use 1 cup Borax, 1 cup washing soda, 1/4 cup kosher salt (this helps with hard water stains if you have normally chalky glasses), and 2 packs of Kool Aid lemonade (unsweetened little packs). Mix this together and store in an airtight container. Use 2 tbsp in dishwasher compartment. Put just 3 drops of liquid hand dishwashing detergent and 3/4 cup of vinegar (this gives it that awesome shine).
    This works very well and is still cheaper than store bought generics.

I tried the 3/4 cup of vinegar and 3 drops of hand dishwashing detergent in the rinse agent spot and it is to much. It overflows. Am I doing something wrong?

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mtcmom View Post
    I tried the 3/4 cup of vinegar and 3 drops of hand dishwashing detergent in the rinse agent spot and it is to much. It overflows. Am I doing something wrong?

It is not advisable to use Liquid dishwashing detergent in the dishwasher.
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is this calling for the Borax Laundry Booster - or is there a different Borax?

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

I made this recipe, added about 1/2 C Lemishine to the mix instead of the Kool-Aid. We tried it last night, splashing some vinegar into the bottom of the dishwasher and we LOVE LOVE LOVE the results! Dishes came out squeaky clean with no spotting!
    I am sharing this with ALL my friends and family and encouraging everyone to save money by making this!
    Next trial is the Laundry Sauce..

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

I made this recipe last week, adding about 1/2 C LemiShine to the powder mix. We tried it last night, throwing in some vinegar to the bottom of the dishwasher. We LOVE LOVE LOVE the results! Dishes came out sparkly and squeaky clean!
    Now onto the Laundry Sauce!

Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by dixieo View Post
    Is this calling for the Borax Laundry Booster - or is there a different Borax?
    the booster is the right Borax

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have used lemishine in the DW before just the regular way and it took the paint and shine off of decorated cups and glasses. Is this mixture a diluted version of using the product as it comes from the store? I had trouble with a haze on glasses.

Thanks

Lynnae in Oklahoma

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Help, I love this recipe and it is a money saver but my dishes are cloudy, I have put vinegar in the compartment, the bottom of the dishwasher, used lemon shine, even done all three at once still white haze over my black cups, what am I missing? By the way, the laundry sauce is all I use now

Deal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just a note, this recipe seems to have a tendency to leave a haze on dishes - this could be due to hard water, soft water, minerals in the water, etc. We recommend the following dishwasher detergent recipe:

Budget101.com - - Mom's Super Dishwasher Sauce | Homemade Super Concentrated Dishwasher Detergent | MYO Liquid Dishwasher Soap