Originally posted by Aine on April 26, 2003
Rust on Formica -- Result

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I thought you might like to know what worked for me. I tried the clorox & peroxide leaving them on for a few hrs. - neither worked. I made a paste of the cream of tartar w/water & left it on overnight - this morning all of the stain is gone except one tiny spot. Hopefully it'll be gone when I reapply tonight in the same area. Just thought you might want to know the result.

Originally posted by Susan on April 27, 2003
Rust Stains on Formica

I hadn't quite gotten to that page yet but had seen it in my skimming through the new book that I got. The author, Linda Cobb, says to; make a paste of Cream of Tartar and either Lemon juice or Hydrogen peroxide, apply it to the rust spot and let it set for 30 min, than to scrub with a Nylon-type scrubbing sponge and rinse and to repeat if necessary. I haven't tried this yet so I don't know if it works or not, I can say that her book so far has been helpful for the most part....and I have actually read some of it. I plan on getting more of her books when I have the money for it.
Also if it is a place that gets sun you might try putting lemon juice on it and let it set for awhile with the sun hitting it. This is something that she mentioned for getting rust out of something else but there is no harm in trying it.

Originally posted by Jen on April 27, 2003

Try a product called Bar Keeper's Friend. It is found with the cleaners at grocery stores or Walmart--it is a powder like comet, but works much better. It is cheap too--like $1.29 or something in my area. That is how I get rust and other stains off my porcelain sink and my countertops. You can use it on almost anything. You make a paste of it and let it set for 1-10 minutes depending on the stain. Then scrub until the stain disappears.