Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Great recipe and all the important instructions. Orioles are also attracted to fruit. That includes apple cores. Just hang them in an area where there is no access to cats and watch them enjoy the treat.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Interesting, I will be doings this. Thanks.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have made my own hummingbird/oriel syrup for many years. Thanks for the tips about boiling and changing every 3 days.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

always feed the hummers and all our flying friends, but had not heard of the apple core trick - love it! thanks for the info

always enjoy feeding our flying friends. appreciate the apple core trick and will be giving the grands apples for snack today!
    thanks for the tip

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Time for the hummers to start arriving!

My hummingbird recipe is 1 C sugar in 1/2 gallon of hot water (I use the Simply Orange 59 oz. bottles because they are sturdy and have a large opening) - I add 2-3 drops of red food coloring - more so I can see the level of nectar in the feeder - and my secret ingredient is: 4-6 DROPS OF PURE ORANGE EXTRACT.... I keep my nectar in the refrigerator and when it hits the 90s on a summer afternoon, I fill the feeders (3 of them) with 'a cold one' and it's like happy hour. I never have less than 20 birds around each feeder. I make 6 jugs of nectar every 2 days - and I buy so much sugar I bet ATF would think I'm running a still. I have so many hummers we can't even go away for two days without asking a neighbor to do refills!

Attachment 13164

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Time for the hummers to start arriving!

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
    My hummingbird recipe is 1 C sugar in 1/2 gallon of hot water (I use the Simply Orange 59 oz. bottles because they are sturdy and have a large opening) - I add 2-3 drops of red food coloring - more so I can see the level of nectar in the feeder - and my secret ingredient is: 4-6 DROPS OF PURE ORANGE EXTRACT.... I keep my nectar in the refrigerator and when it hits the 90s on a summer afternoon, I fill the feeders (3 of them) with 'a cold one' and it's like happy hour. I never have less than 20 birds around each feeder. I make 6 jugs of nectar every 2 days - and I buy so much sugar I bet ATF would think I'm running a still. I have so many hummers we can't even go away for two days without asking a neighbor to do refills!

Attachment 13164
    Where would you find the pure orange nectar?