Article: Landscaping & Gardening Inexpensively

Article: Landscaping & Gardening Inexpensively

You can view the page at http://www.budget101.com/content.php?r=501-Landscaping-Gardening-Inexpensively

amp, article, budget, budget101, content, garden, gardening, inexpensively, inside, landscaping, page, plan, plant, plants, tent, time, url, view, years, http://www.budget101.com/content.php?r=501-landscaping-gardening-inexpensively

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Article: Landscaping & Gardening Inexpensively

~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I harvested seed from most of my annuals to plant this spring. I will soon be planting them inside for the spring garden. I just hope I have some success with this as it is my first time trying to grow from last years plants.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I like to propagate my vines and ajuga by using old bobbypins to secure them to the soil, then in a few weeks they have sprouted roots where the bobbypin held them down. I sever them from the mother plant and replant the rooted cutting to another location. Also, if you have a wiilow tree, you can make a cold willow bark tea and this solution will naturally encourage more rapid rooting because willow trees have a natural rooting hormone in them. All natural and FREE!

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have never heard of willow bark tea as a rooting hormone agent. What a great tip. Thank you!

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

that is awesome! I can't wait to try, i might email with some questions... thanks!

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Article: Landscaping & Gardening Inexpensively

Quote Originally Posted by lorriehunt View Post
    I harvested seed from most of my annuals to plant this spring. I will soon be planting them inside for the spring garden. I just hope I have some success with this as it is my first time trying to grow from last years plants.
    That should work IF:
    1. you waited long enough for the seed to dry on the plant

2. you stored them properly

3. the harvested seed is not from a hybrid

If the seed came from a hybrid then they can be sterile or they can produce entirely different plants. If it was hybrid yellow flowered on 12" plants you could get any color blooms on any height plants or nothing.

Don't get discouraged if you don't succeed the first time! And check the next time you buy seeds or plants to see if the are Hybrids, open pollinated and heirlooms reproduce true to form most of the time. Some seeds need to be kept cold. Most of the time just think about the weather conditions outside ( outside where the seed is from), NO rain til you want them to sprout though, He He.

There are lots of good web sights on seed saving. Check out by the type of seed you saved.

Also some seeds lose germination % as they age. There is a test to check germination of each seed lot by testing a few. See web for that also.

Good luck and have fun. I will be starting my saved seeds 6 weeks before i want to set them out. Mine are vegetables, so no spring garden til I get the veg garden started and running as I moved. So this is the first veg garden in 20 years on this property. Next year i will do flower gardens. I am starting a herb garden this year also.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

sounds like a big saving. thanks