4 cups water
    10-oz pkg soft silken tofu, drained
    1 cup soymilk or rice milk
    1/2 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
    3 tbs nutritional yeast
    1 tsp turmeric
    salt

2 tbs dairy-free margarine or canola oil
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Boil macaroni in water until just underdone, drain, rinse in cold water. Blend tofu and soymilk in blender or food processor until smooth. Add tahini, nutritional yeast, turmeric and salt. Mix until smooth. In large bowl, stir together macaroni and 'cheese' sauce. Place mixture in lightly oiled oven proof casserole. Top with pats of margarine. Bake until golden and bubbly, about 20 minutes. Serves 10.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Macaroni and "Cheese"

This is the first vegan mac and cheese I've seen that uses tofu and doesn't use a ton of nutritional yeast. I can't wait to try this. Nutritional yeast (to me, anyway) is expensive, but 3T works! Cant wait to try this!

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Does the tofu give the dish the 'cheesey' flavor or all the ingredients combined...I get the texture between the soy milk and tofu.
    What does the nutritional yeast bring to the party except the 'nutrition'? As in texture and taste/flavor...

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

The nutritional yeast gives it the cheesy flavor and a bit of the cheddar coloring. I have to remember to get macaroni tonight. I made lasagna a few weeks ago with tofu as the ricotta - and he liked it - let's see if I can slide this one by! lol

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tacomatam View Post
    The nutritional yeast gives it the cheesy flavor and a bit of the cheddar coloring. I have to remember to get macaroni tonight. I made lasagna a few weeks ago with tofu as the ricotta - and he liked it - let's see if I can slide this one by! lol
    I would love to see your recipe for the lasagna with the tofu!! Sounds pretty interesting.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

The recipe I used for the lasagna was from the Jazzy Vegetarian. This is her lasagna roll recipe, I just used it as a lasagna. As always, I modified it slightly, but it was really good. Both my kids are meat eaters and they both liked it. We did get 1 meal for 4 people and 2 lunches for me out of it, so wasn't too bad. Here's the recipe...

For the "ricotta" filling
    1 block drained firm tofu
    a dash of olive oil
    1/2 tsp tamari
    5 cloves finely chopped garlic
    1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley
    1/2 cup fresh basil chopped
    2.25 oz can pitted black olives, drained

Mash the tofu in a bowl with a potato masher until it's the texture of ricotta. Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix so everything is distributed. (The only thing we all noticed was it was a bit salty for our tastes. Next time no tamari, since the olives are salty).

I used 9 no-cook noodles for this recipe and a 9x11 pan. The noodles fit perfectly across the pan 3 to a row. I did use 1 1/2 jars of marinara sauce, since I used the no-cook noodles, wanted to make sure nothing came out crispy. So... bottom of the pan was marinara with a T of olive oil mixed in. Then Just layer the noodles, mixture, sauce, noodles, mixture, sauce, noodles sauce. I shredded up a pack of sliced mozarella flavored fake cheese in the food processor and sprinkled that on top. You bake it at 400 for 30 minutes or so - I left it in until the cheese on top was melted. It looked fabulous when it came out - it melted, and browned a bit. I just used too much. The next time I make it, I'm going to shred the cheese and mix it in with the tofu so it gets melty all the way through (like a real ricotta). You could use nutritional yeast on top as well, but I didn't since I had the "mozarella"

If this is confusing, let me know and I'll try better. I'm not use to writing out recipes, and I don't have a written one for this to just copy. It really was good! If you try it, let me know how you liked it.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

after I posted that recipe I realized I shouldn't have posted it here - can it be moved? Deleted? I don't want to get in trouble - it was an oopsie.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Your recipe sounds delicious! I'm not a vegetarian by any means, but I do love some meatless meals. It's just lighter. Now Hubby, he's definitely a carnivore and well as my kids. Although I can get them to eat some meatless dishes...Hubby's a lost cause with that one. lol

I wish I knew how to move my things around here, but I'm clueless and I don't guess I have that capability and power. One of the moderators or Liss can though. Either shoot them a PM or ask on here if they will. I've got a few things of mine on here I wish I could either link or move too, so I can relate.
    Thanks so much for sharing your recipe!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast