Thread: Cardamom Bread

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Heart Cardamom Bread

This bread is really easy to make and taste delicious! Sometimes I leave out the caramom and it still taste great. My kids love it when I make french toast for them using this recipe.

1 tablespoon active dry yeast
    1/4 cup warm water
    1/2 cup, plus1/2 teaspoon sugar
    1 cup of 2% reduced-fat milk
    2 eggs, beaten
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon crushed cardamom seeds or ground cardamom
    4 1/2 cups bread flour
    1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
    1 beaten egg for glaze
    Granulated sugar for sprinkling (optional)

1. Mix yeast, warm water, and 1/2 teaspoon sugar until yeast dissolves. Set aside.

2. Heat milk in a saucepan over low heat until small bubbles appear along the edges. Cool to about 120F. Add beaten eggs, remaining 1/2 cup sugar, salt, cardamom, and 3 cups flour. Beat well. Add butter;beat well. Add yeast mixture. Add remaining 1 1/2 cups flour in three additions, mixing well after each addition, until dough has a soft to medium consistency.

3. Knead on a lightly floured surface or with a mixer fitted with dough hooks until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes, adding as little flour as possible.

4. Place dough in an oiled bowl, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 2 hours. Punch down dough and let rise again until doubled, about 1 hour.

5. Place dough on a lightly floured surface and divide into six peices. Roll each peice into a rope. Braid three ropes together to form a loaf. Repeat with remaining 3 ropes. Place loaves in a greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch loaf pans. Cover with a cloth and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.

6. Preheat oven to 375F.

7. Brush loaves with beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar. Bake 25 minutes or until loaves sound hollow hen tapped on the bottom. Cool on wired rack.

Makes 2 loaves
    Serves 20

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shelly2234 For This Useful Post: