eggs eggs!

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      katjane

I have found myself with 2 dozen eggs. I am looking for some cheap dinner ideas to do with them
      thanx

FreebieQueen
      • Deviled eggs (snacking)
      • Quiche – with whatever you have on hand, spinach/cheese, broccoli/cheese, ham/cheese/onion, etc
      • Poached Eggs on Toast
      • Goodie Wraps – tortilla with scrambled egg & any combination of bacon, sausage, onions, chopped green pepper , tomatoes, etc

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
      Cilantro Chile Sauce

2 large cloves garlic
      1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
      2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
      1 small bunch cilantro
      1 green (serrano) chile, seeds removed
      2 pinches ground cumin
      a couple big pinches of salt

Frittata
      6 large organic eggs
      1 tablespoon olive oil
      1 small yellow onion, chopped
      3 small potatoes, very very thinly sliced
      1/2 cup yellow zucchini or cauliflower,1/2-inch pieces
      1/4 cup goat cheese, crumbled
      1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
      couple pinches of salt

Preheat your oven to 450F degrees. Make the cilantro chile sauce by pureeing the garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, cilantro, chile, cumin, and salt until very smooth. Taste and add more salt if needed. Set aside.

In a medium bowl whisk the eggs with a small pinch of salt. Set aside. In a (small) 8 1/2-inch ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium-high heat add the olive oil, onion, and another pinch of salt. Saute, stirring constantly, until the onion starts to brown, 5 – 7 minutes. Add the potatoes and zucchini (or cauliflower), cover, and cook for another 3 minutes or so. Slide everything out of the skillet onto a plate and set aside.

Turn down the heat a bit. Using the same skillet, add the eggs and cook over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes or until the eggs are just set and there isn’t a lot of liquid running around the pan. To facilitate this, run a spatula underneath the sides of the frittata and tilt the pan so the uncooked eggs run to the underside and cook. Drizzle the eggs with a few tablespoons of the cilantro chile sauce, now sprinkle the potato onion mixture over the top.

Place the skillet in the oven and bake for about 9 minutes, or until well set and puffy. Add a crumble of goat cheese and the pumpkin seeds across the top of the frittata in the final 2 minutes of baking. Remove from oven (be careful the handle is hot!), cut into wedges and serve.

Serves 2 to 4.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

brchbell

My hens are laying 2 dozen eggs each day! Giving lots of eggs away and no one gives me egg cartons. I’m out now so had to go online and order some and putting them in a cardboard box for now. If I could slow down some I’d make angle food cakes and egg noodles with the yolks. I filled my freezer full of frozen eggs thinking they’d stop laying eggs this winter but even at 20 below and no light to be had they faithfully kept laying eggs! We’re so sick of eggs the last thing anyone wants is egg anything! Told my girl’s they could go sell them and keep the money but so far they haven’t done so. I tried giving the Food Pantry 11 dozen this morning but they are closed on Friday so spent and hour visiting old friends and blessing them with eggs! (duh.. I forgot to take them to church with me Wednesday night!) Have fun using your eggs!

lcove2000

How about omelets! I love omelets…Ham & cheese, spinach and cheese, broccoli & cheese, peppers & onions w/cheese. Oh this list is endless.
      Butter skillet well on med-low heat, beat 2 eggs w/ 1/4c. milk, pour into pan, add cheese to one side, veggies to the other side, fold in half when golden brown, voila! Add some toast or a bagel and you’ve got a good meal.
      Also, for dessert:
      (Old Albanian recipe)
      Egg Custard
      14 jumbo eggs
      8 c. milk
      1 cup sugar

Heat milk; remove from heat before it comes to boil. Beat eggs in mixer for about 1 minute. Add sugar. Beat another minute (do not make foamy). Mix hot milk with eggs very slowly. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Poure water into pan and place in oven; bring water to a boil. Pour mixture into a 9×13 inch buttered pan and set into pan already in oven. Bake 30 minutes.
      Note: Because you have to place custard in pan of water, it is easier to fill pan with 3/4 mixture, place in oven, then add remainder so as not to spill.

I would probably sprinkle a little cinnamon sugar on this when it is done cooking but that is optional
      Yummy!

MrsPaws

We love eggs!

Some of our favorite ways to enjoy them are to either scramble or fry them, and serve with toast or biscuits…or an egg in the hole. smiley-char026 smilie
      There’s also:
      When I have spinach as a side dish, I scramble 1 or 2 eggs into it.
      Use 2 or 3 in some left over rice to have a great fried rice dish.
      Breakfast burritos are tasty and portable.
      Homemade Brioche bread uses several eggs and is so good! 😉
      French toast!!
      Boiled eggs makes great protein packed snacks.
      As already mentioned-Deviled eggs-they make a yummy side dish, frittatas, and omletes.
      Baked ham and eggs with cheese, that’s made in a muffin tin.
      To end dinner, have a lovely egg custard or rice pudding, both of which uses several eggs.
      Also, don’t forget about crepes.

Most homemade baked goods uses eggs, so grab your cookbooks and make some tasty things from scratch. ((or that’s what I do when I have an excess of eggs)) 🙂

brchbell

All my eggs now go to the food pantry because we are now allergic to eggs. Will be butchering most of our turkeys, ducks and chickens in a few weeks and filling up all our pint canning jars with the meat for food storage.

Vampixen

I’m down to one egg left in the fridge..wish I lived close enough to you Brchbell..I’d get some off your hands..Gonna have to go to the store soon..Kids will freak in the morning if I have no eggs

brchbell

Wish you were too! I give some to my kids when they come by but sure glad I can help feed our poor! One of my daughters is allergic to everything under the sun but she can have eggs. I keep telling her she has no clue what a blessing it is to be able to have eggs! One day she’ll get it! GF breads are like bricks without eggs!

mcnerd

Don’t forget you can also freeze eggs (not in the shell).

Loreena

What is the best way to freeze eggs?

mcnerd
      farmkat

This is a good way to use up some eggs. The original recipe called for a normal size pie and then you could bake the leftover filling by itself (no crust). I figured why not just make 2 smaller pies with crust. You can also just not fill a regular size pie pan all the way to get your two pies.
      Kathy

Italian Rice Pie
      Adapted by farmkat/KathyJ from Food52.com

Ingredients:
      2 Unbaked Pie Crust (Mix-in-the-Pan works) for 8″ pie
      ½ cup Arborio Rice, uncooked
      4 cups Whole Milk or water
      7 large Eggs
      1 cup Sugar
      1 teaspoon Lemon Extract or zest and juice
      2 teaspoons Vanilla
      1 pound Ricotta Cheese, drained 2 hours or overnight

Directions:
      1. In a saucepan, place the rice and milk. Bring to a boil. Reduce to low and let the rice cook, stirring occasionally – 15-20 minutes. Milk should be absorbed and rice sticky, but firm. It will finish cooking in the oven. Remove from heat and set aside.

2. In a large bowl, beat together the eggs and sugar. Add the extracts and beat in. Add drained ricotta, beat until combined. Fold in the cooked rice until well combined. Refrigerate.

3. Preheat oven to 375. Make two crusts in 8” pie pans. Chill. Divide filling between the crusts. Bake 2 hour or until filling is set – not jiggly, and golden in color. Serve at room temp or chilled.
      Makes 2 small pies.

farmkat

Here’s another one that uses a lot of eggs…
      Kathy

Salad Olovieah: Persian Egg & Potato Salad
      Adapted by farmkat/KathyJ from cooktj.com

Ingredients:
      12 Eggs, hard-boiled and peeled
      4 Russet Potatoes, boiled and peeled (4 cups)
      2 cups Chicken, cooked and shredded
      2 cups Peas, frozen
      1 cup Dill Pickles, chopped or Relish
      ½ cup Kalamata or Black Olives, sliced (optional)
      ¾ cup Mayonnaise
      3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
      2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice, fresh
      To Taste Salt and Pepper

Directions:
      1. Boil the potatoes, drain and mash. Add the frozen peas to hot potatoes.

2. Chop up the eggs and add to potatoes. Also add Chicken, Pickles and Olives. Mix.

3. In a small bowl, stir together the Mayo, Oil and Lemon Juice Add to Potatoes and stir gently until evenly distributed. Add salt and pepper to taste.

4. Chill in the refrigetator. Serve with Pita Bread or Baquette slices or by itself.

Note: This makes a lot – Serves 10-12. Even though there’s only the two of us, I don’t halve the recipe – we eat it all! Great way to use up eggs.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.