Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gardens 2010

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Gardens 2010

It is now officially gardening season for the year 2010!

I have started my new crop of "Houseplants" in seed flats and pots to test for germination and because I couldn't wait any longer. My family seems to think my houseplants are strange--I do not know why, they seem normal to me--Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Green Beans, Soybeans, Squash and Pumpkin to name a few.

I know it will be months before we can get out in the garden, but it is time to start getting everything ready. Get seed and plant pots/flats or make your own from milk jugs, soda bottles, plastic bowls, etc. Check your seed viability, order seeds, get potting soil and/or seed starting medium, fertilizers, insecticides and herbicides or the materials to make your own.

We have a garden plan drawn up, but when we go to plant most times the plan goes out the window. But it is something we do before ordering any more plants or seeds. We are planning on getting a few more varieties of soybeans, shell beans, melons, squash and possibly tomato seeds.

What are you all planning for your garden of 2010?

Happy Gardening! Thanks; Virginia

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Gardens 2010

Don't know yet but it was inspiring to read your post. It's a little early here to start seeds, northeast US, but I will probably do so next month. Probably, tomatoes, potatoes, egglplant indoor and then beans/cucumbers/zucchini outdoors. It's time have a battle with the local woodchuck again, LOL!

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mine plants aren't as exciting as yours, but we've repotted our lemon tree from last year, and, hopefully, we'll get some lemons on it this year. I bought another lemon tree which already had 2 lemons growing, and I've repotted that. I've only starting sowing spinach seeds a few days ago. This is my very first attempt at sowing seeds. We have plans for spinach in the top of 16" hanging baskets and strawberries (18 plants can fit around the sides when you put holes through the coco liner, I've heard) on the sides (18 plants can fit around the sides when you put holes through the coco liner, I've heard). So I'll probably do about 3 or 4 baskets of those.

We'd also like to do tomatoes (in a hanging basket, just trying to decide on the best compromise for tomatoes for sauce, but in a container vs. the ground), green peppers, carrots, and blueberries.

I'd love to do potatoes, sweet potatoes, and onions, and small watermelon but not sure how to make those work.

When I say "we" I'm referring to myself (single mom) and my 4 and 6 year old daughters - and we're all afraid of creepy crawlies! And all of our plants will be in containers, seeing as we live in a 2nd floor condo.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm itching to start my "house" plants too! DH ships back out Monday morning so will wait until next week to get started! He thinks I'm crazy to start so early too!

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

My test germination "houseplants" are off to a good start. There were a few varieties that didn't germinate the 90% that I would like (since I keep them growing to plant out when the time comes) so, I planted another flat of them. Some of my "houseplants" will be planted outside in the regular gardens, others will be planted in raised beds, and still others will be planted in containers. Depending on the type of plants some will be isolated so that the seed saved remains pure. We direct seed most of the gardens. By using several methods we hope to insure a crop. We have done this for several years and we have always had at least enough from each crop for some fresh eating and for seed saving.

You can grow most anything in containers if you have the space for the containers and the containers are big enough for the plant you wish to grow. We have grown potatoes in garbage cans. We use earth boxes to plant all kinds of vegetable plants (tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, green onions, salad greens, beans) and fruit (strawberries). We even grew watermelons and cantaloupe in them one year. They work great for us.

Happy gardening! Thanks; Virginia

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well I got a flat of Broccoli started today and then a half flat of Mesclun mix. Nice to be pushing little seeds in watching all this snow that isn't suppose to be here today coming down. I feel like a walk today, maybe I can go out and walk my garden in the snow. Haven't been out there in a couple of months.

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

We have lots of flats filled with little plants just itching to get outside. Have to put most of them into bigger pots as they still have quite awhile yet before it is safe for them to be out. Have planted turnips, radishes, carrots, lettuce, and other cool weather crops. Got the potatoes planted Friday. Planted more strawberry plants on Friday as well. Have green onions ready to eat -- a sure sign of spring. Makes great green onion and egg omelets. Magnolia tree has tight little pink buds just beginning to open. Pussy willows are in full show (some people don't like them, but I think they are pretty). Grass is growing and will need to be mowed before we know it. Happy Gardening Everyone! Thanks; Virginia

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Raining all of this weekend, so unable to get out in the gardens or yard. Grass needs mowed, dandelions are everywhere. Had some nice greens and flower srooms (dandelion flowers cooked as you would mushrooms). Been enjoying the Asparagus harvest for the last week or so. Strawberry plants are white with flowers. Lilacs are in bloom and smell so sweet. Tulips are bright and putting on a nice show. The Magnolia tree next to our house was full of flowers, the wind has blown them all down now--but it was a beautiful sight when in bloom. Happy Gardening Everyone! Thanks; Virginia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast