Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Doh Steps taken and electric is still sky high HELP

ok here is the deal Its my light bill

I got my light bill yesterday, rates have gone up once again

my light bill includes electric, gas (my hot water heater is gas), water, wastewater (this is charged by the city for the amount of water i use so i cant do anything about it), trash

measurements I took before this bill (before I give you the total amount)

hung blanket over doorways of areas not in use ( i am only heating three rooms--living room, bedroom and bathroom which is all in the same vacinity), stopped drafts in windows, unplug everything not necessary at night, I dont even heat my kitchen it is one of the rooms blocked cooking in there heats it enough to stay warm while eating, i have thermal curtains in one room and i cut the heat down at night.

results after doing all this

electric 492.49
    water 14.87 (down from the month before)
    wasterwater 25.91 (i cant do anything about it its a city charge)
    trash 16.50
    gas 28.28
    after taxes total 585.50

this is for one month and two days (they couldnt get out to read meters that are supposed to be able to be read in the office because it snowed??????????)

granted it has been unseasonably cold here but come on!!!!!!

I am thinking part of my problem is my heater..its an electric built in wall unit but only have one in the living room that is supposed to heat the whole upstairs there is one downstairs also

i noticed when only running the one upstairs and not downstairs the one upstairs runs constantly almost never cutting off, so i cut the one on downstairs since there is no door between the upstairs and downstairs. It was only on a low setting to help cut down the cold air so the one upstairs is not running all the time. I have shut off all doors down there the only thing being heated is the room the heater is in one other room and the small hallway to the steps. There was also an older model dehumidifier (in the other room the heater is not) in the basement that was on but that also helped with the heat (since an older model it did put out some heat) which is the only reason the heater down there could be on low. No matter what I try to put in front of the stairs there is a gap.

steps I have taken now in addition to what was already

So thinking maybe the one running downstairs to supliment the one running upstairs is higher than the upstairs running all the time i cut that one off along with the dehumidifier still got cold air coming from the gap which runs into another blanket now but still can feel the cold air coming up

Any ideas of what I can change or anything else I can do?????? Would it help to put small heaters in the bedroom and bathroom to help suppliment or is this going to run it up more???

This is kind of an old house and the insulation isnt really all that good, but having to pay bills like this on my own I dont have the funds to add insulation at the moment. help i only keep it 70 during the day when home in here as it is!!!!!!!!!! anything below that my daughter gets sick and so do I

ideas but not sure will help
    kerosene heater
    space heaters in rooms so the living room not having to run so bad
    have the gas furnace hooked back up (rates for gas not low either electric is actually lower at the moment and the furnace is old)
    run vaporizers in the rooms not heated

I checked the threads that came up when posting and nothing there either
    Mdowdy

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mdowdy For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Steps taken and electric is still sky high HELP

One quick remark before I really think about this is that heat rises so if you are only running one heater it should be the one downstairs. Is this your house or are you renting? If it's yours then you need to take steps now for next year and insulate, seal windows ,etc Do you have high ceilings? High ceilings are great in the summer but can kill you in the winter. When we had our old house we never heated the upstairs bedrooms. We only heated a couple rooms downstairs. Had a couple weeks of -20 weather that had us sleeping in one of the heated rooms for a few weeks! I agree that the type of heat you have is killing you but the type of house you have can make a big difference also. We used a lot of electric blankets and heated just the two rooms we could seal off real good. Then we started redoing our house slowly (took us 10 years to get it done) We insulated real good and dropped our 14' ceilings down to 10' and installed new windows as we went. Bundle up and get use to cooler temps in the house. Pray for an early Spring! There are some new energy saving space heaters out there. Do your home work before you try one of them! You have to get real creative in some of these old homes to help you survive those winter months! Good luck! Those high utility bills can really throw you for a loop! Hope you figure it all out so next month isn't as bad!

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would have to agree with brchbell and add that the highest electricity usage comes from anything that produces heat and then cold (such as heaters, a/c's, ovens (electric), blow dryers, toaster ovens, refrigerators, freezers, hot water usage, dryers, etc.) Next something you could do after that would be to install a ceiling fan to help circulate the warm air in the winter and the cooler air in the summer. The one thing that helped my husband and I the most with our heating bill was installing a programmable thermostat which drops down automatically when people are needing the heat. We have noticed approx. a 35-40% savings in our heating bill. Don't know if you can install one but it might be well worth the trouble. Sweatshirts and warm socks could allow you to keep it down slightly lower and every degree you lower your thermostat between 60-70 degrees can save you 5% on your bill. Replace the 5 lightbulbs you use most to CFL lightbulbs which use much less energy. Cook many items at the same time in your oven to make the most of the heat while it is on. Fold clothes as they are coming out of the dryer, so that you don't have to iron. Wash clothes on coolest setting possible (if they get clean) if not, presoak them in a 5 gallon bucket. If you shut off your heat does it shut off completely? If you are in an apartment, are you certain that You are not paying for the whole houses energy consumption? Just things to consider.

Deal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Fire Re: Steps taken and electric is still sky high HELP

Hey gal, ugh on the bill situation! Here is a link to an article I posted awhile back with some tips for saving money here and there:

Cut your Winter Heating bills

I will tell you, from experience, that those electric baseboard heaters are what's costing you a FORTUNE. You would be considerably better off to purchase a mr Heater gas heater (probably lowes??) and a 20 lb propane tank from Walmart for $18.

The heater will heat a rather large area and does not require exterior ventilation, most of the newer ones also have an automatic safety shutoff. I was in the very same boat when we lived in the Frigid Northwest.

The heaters themselves are relatively inexpensive, $50 or so. I know that sounds like alot at the moment, but when you shave $300 off your heating bill, you'll see the difference.

On average I go through a tank of propane every 2-3 weeks, but that depends entirely upon your usage needs/ draftiness in the house/ temps outside, etc.

Also, have you called your electric company because most Utility companies offer a special reduced rate for folks that heat their homes with Electric Baseboard heat. It's an entirely different rate. They usually aren't too keen on openly suggesting it to you, but if you ask, you might be surprised to see you have one in your area. If you don't think you do, but want me to check on it, PM me the name of your electric company and town and I'll look into it. I'm usually really good at finding discounts.

Also, what are you using for lightbulbs in the house?? Get those funny looking swirly bulbs (holy crap I hate writing when I'm tired, I sound like such a complete moron I think they're called CFL's), anyway, they reduced our electric bill by over $30 A month. Particularly by replacing the porch light, which the kids tend to leave on for no reason whatsoever. I guess they want to make sure the cat can see when he digs the finish off my dat gum door.

You mentioned your water heater, it's gas, but is instanteously fired gas (meaning it only runs when you use hot water and even if you filled a swimming pool it wouldn't run out, or is it gas but with a holding tank??

If you have a gas fired water heater with a holding tank than you can save a considerable amount of money by wrapping it in a Hot water Jacket. (Which is, in essence, a fancy coat for your hot water tank.)

As for your water bill, the only suggestion for reducing that is to make sure you have Aerating, low-flow faucets and showerheads. In this case, expensive is NOT better. I purchased one at a local hardware store for $3.92 and that thing is AWESOME. You can actually wet long hair in less than 2 days, lol.

Also, remind me, do you own this home/mortgage? If so, if you are still making repairs for energy savings most states have little known programs - some grants- some very low interest loans for home improvement. I was able to take advantage of a program like that in Maine, for 3% interest. It was very helpful for getting the house up to par with the nasty winter weather.

Hugs to you and the kids, I hope some of this helps.

Liss
    ~Enjoy!~

FreebieQueen

Like Budget101 on Facebook!
    Join us on Twitter #Budget101

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Scissors Re: Steps taken and electric is still sky high HELP

Here r some ideas from another drafty old house dweller:
    1. If u have ceiling fans run them clockwise
    2. Replace light bulbs with CFL bulbs
    3.Replace air filters regularly
    4. Seal all holes including electrical outlets, use door draft guards bought or
    use a rug, towel or blanket as a guard.
    5.Use flannel sheets-lower thermostat
    6. Dress warm, use socks or knitted booties indoors, flannel PJs-lower thermostat.
    If you r walking around in summer clothes the thermostat is too high.
    We also have a humidifier in the bedroom and living room.It keeps the house moist and permits us to lower the heater. Walmart sells it for $15 its a Vicks, this is the only one we found at a resanoble price.
    Hope this helps.
    Myriam

What's a Budget?
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Re: Steps taken and electric is still sky high HELP

I didnt quite have time to read all the replies to this but i do have a question for you. Did you call you electric company. My electric bill was WAYYY to high. So i called them and asked if they could send someone out there to check and see where all this electric is being used unefficiently so i can lower my bill.

They sent two reps out and they went thru my home completely. I found out that my water heater, frig , freezer, washer and dryer were not energy sufficient(sp?). meaning they were not up to code. They then left us know that we qualified for help with this to make our home energy efficient . They replaced everything but our washer and dryer, that we had to do our selves. Since then our bill is only a third of what it was!

Maybe your electric company has something like that in your area. Something to look into...but til then if that heater you are speaking of is a secondary heat source,,unplug it , put plastic up at your windows,check to see if your home needs to be re-insulated..good luck hope i helped

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

the one idea i have is to get a humidifer. it will add moisture to the house. wet air is easier to heat than dry air.

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

We knocked 20$ off out monthly electric bill by replacing 4 old electric plug outlets in the wall. They were pulling electricity when nothing was plugged in. Read about it somewhere and we had a few that worked kinda odley at times.