this is such a great recipe because you can use ANY kind of leftover potatoes that you have and you can substitute the veggies in my recipe for what you might have on hand. DD visited recently and reminded me of this recipe that turned out to be one of her favorites (she never told me!!!!!!!!) because it was different every time and the perfect comfort food (fits the budget pretty well, too! LOL!)
Potato and Vegetable Pie
2 cups of leftover potatoes -- any kind! however, if not mashed, scalloped, au gratin, or hash browns, please chop or cube for easier mixing
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup carrot, shredded
•/4 cup onion, finely chopped
1 tbs parsley
1 tbs basil
• egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup bread crumbs
5 cherry tomatoes, sliced
A little butter or oil for greasing oven-proof dish
Pre-heat the oven to 350F. Lightly grease an 9x9 oven-proof dish. Set aside. Combine all ingredients, except for the bread crumbs in a large mixing bowl. Stir vegetable mixture well with a wooden spoon to combine and coat in lightly beaten egg. Add the bread crumbs and gently stir until almost combined. Pour vegetable mixture into oven-proof dish and flatten by smoothing and pushing mixture down with the back of the wooden spoon. Top vegetable mixture with slices of cherry tomato and then bake for 35-40 minutes until golden. Serve potato and vegetable pie with a salad.
note: this is even better the next day for breakfast or lunch! hot or cold!