Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default The Complete Tightwad Gazette

Hey,
    has anyone here ever heard of the book "The Tightwad Gazette" by Amy Dacyczyn?

She used to have this "gazette" in Maine (I think) back in the 90's and she published them as 3 books, then finally all her gazettes in one HUGE book as "The Complete Tightwad Gazette". I rarely buy books new. I got this one online and I'm pretty sure this one paid for itself a long time ago.

I had found the first of the 3 books in a yard sale 2 summers ago and had to read the rest, I honestly think everyone should.

In there she covers absolutely everything, from baby clothes to groceries to recycling... even garbage picking (treasure hunting? lol).

So anyone heard of it? Anyone know of similar books to suggest?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaz1984 For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: The Complete Tightwad Gazette

Yes I know several have her book. I also love Carla Emery's Encyclopedia of Country Living. Very good book for making it on your own.

Deal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Star Re: The Complete Tightwad Gazette

Quote Originally Posted by Jaz1984 View Post
    Hey,
    has anyone here ever heard of the book "The Tightwad Gazette"
    So anyone heard of it? Anyone know of similar books to suggest?
    Here are a messload of threads on the subject already that might answer your questions:
    Search Budget101
    ~Enjoy!~

FreebieQueen

Like Budget101 on Facebook!
    Join us on Twitter #Budget101

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, I borrowed the books & read them. I've read where people have found them @ the Goodwill, but, on all my visits-I have never seen them! Remember to check your library-& that's free! Since I read them 2 years ago--I remember writing down some recipes, but, thought I actually didn't really read anything I didn't already know. But a good read, anyway.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I found the first Tightwad Gazzette book in the library in Tifton GA back in the mid 90s. This book changed my thinking. I became frugal and have been every since. Prior to reading this book. I just bought whatever, whenever. Never balanced my checkbook ate out all the time etc.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I have a lot of books myself on the subject myself but I found this one really is the gateway to the lifestyle.

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have the Old Fashion Recipe Book it tells you how to make everything from scratch. it is a great book. It was self written and self published but worth it.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by catlady View Post
    I have the Old Fashion Recipe Book it tells you how to make everything from scratch. it is a great book. It was self written and self published but worth it.
    Yes it is a very valuable book! It was written by my old friend Carla Emory who died a couple years ago. She had low blood pressure like I do and I had told her she needed to drink sports drinks through out the day in case it dropped to low so her heart would have the electrolytes it needs to restart. She wasn't doing that on her last book tour and her BP dropped suddenly and her heart quit and they couldn't revive her. Broke my heart as she was a great teacher and left behind a living legacy for the whole world to use!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast