Do you have a recipe for Traditional Christmas Fruit Cake?

Do you have a recipe for Traditional Christmas Fruit Cake?

:candycane: My mother used to make a traditional Christmas fruit cake with fruit and nuts and the recipe has gone missing over the years. She would soak the fruit overnight, golden raisins, green and red cherries, pineapple, nuts, and bake it the next day in tins lined with brown paper and waxed

bra, bringing, cake, chris, christmas, cream, fruit, happy, job, memory, men, minutes, mom, rack, recently, recipe, track, traditional, weekend, year, paper, soak, love, years, bake, nuts, disappeared, appears, copy, long, canadaxmas-1, duplicate, moist, sept/oct, hear, ready, sisters, fruitcake, heard, jokes, cooled, green, cherries, pineapple, raisins, golden, mother, make, missing, overnight

What's a Budget?
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Do you have a recipe for Traditional Christmas Fruit Cake?

My mother used to make a traditional Christmas fruit cake with fruit and nuts and the recipe has gone missing over the years. She would soak the fruit overnight, golden raisins, green and red cherries, pineapple, nuts, and bake it the next day in tins lined with brown paper and waxed paper so it would not burn. After cakes were cooled she would wrap in cheesecloth and soak in apricot brandy. My mom has been gone for almost 18 years and my sisters and I tried to duplicate the recipe so long ago but now the paper copy appears to have disappeared. So if you can help and the jokes about fruitcake have all been heard, but we do love it a lot and the cake is moist! She would bake it in Sept/Oct to be ready for Christmas. I'd love to hear from you. Thanks from Canada!
    Life.........we're all in it together!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Happytosave For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Do you have a recipe for Traditional Christmas Fruit Cake?

Yes! My Mom did this every year too! I recently saw the recipe so will try to track it down this weekend! It was my job to pour the brandy on it each week. Thanks for bringing a happy memory back to me!

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Do you have a recipe for Traditional Christmas Fruit Cake?

Ok, I found it very quickly!

My Mom's Fruit Cake

This is a rich dark that will keep indefinitely. Covering with foil allows the cakes to steam before browning. Rich fruit cakes are wrapped in cloth soaked in brandy or cognac and re-soaked every week for up to 4 months with the cloth being changed every month or two. Please note that eggs are the sole leavening in this cake! The eggs must be beaten very well. Whole eggs should be as thick as whipped cream! When flour is added you should carefully sprinkle it over and fold it in. Fold completely but only enough to mix all ingredients in. Over beating makes a heavy cake so be careful!

2 1/2 cups mixed diced candied fruits
    1 1/2 cups candied pineapple
    1 cup light(golden) Sultana raisins
    1 cup thick fruit preserves
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 1/2 cups currants
    1 1/2 cups black Sultana Raisins
    1/2 cup cognac or brandy
    1 cup filberts,coarsely chopped
    1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
    6 large eggs
    1 cup dark brown sugar
    2 cups flour
    1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon cloves
    1 teaspoon cinnamon

The night before you make your fruit cake combine all the fruit, the preserves, vanilla and cognac or brandy in a large bowl and let sit overnight.

The next morning, grease and flour your pans. This will fill three 9X5X3 inch loaf pans but my mom always use a bunt pan and a small individual bunt pan. Set oven to 300 degrees. Add nuts to the fruit mixture.

Cream the butter, flour and spices together until light.

Beat the eggs and sugar together until thick and fluffy. Pour beaten eggs into the butter/flour mixture stirring carefully but thoroughly. Pour over the fruit and nuts.

With hands, mix together gently but quickly. Pour into prepared pans 2/3 full. Cover each pan with foil sealing it.

Bake cakes in preheated oven for 2 hours. Remove foil and bake 40 minutes more until top of cakes are browned. When cakes are completely cooled remove from prepared pans. Wrap each in a cognac or brandy soaked cloth and then sealing a can or wrap tightly with foil. Store at least 2 weeks before using but best if aged 2 months or longer soaking and wrapping as mentioned above.

Hope this helps you! When my mom used loaf pans she also lined it with brown paper and wax paper!

Cherlynn