Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default can opener issue - am i really the only one?

for several years now i have had quailty issues with can openers. i have purchased the following: (NONE HAVE LASTED MORE THAN 6MNTHS TO A YR)

1. kitchen aid ($50) - the one that attatches to the mixer. all it did after awhile was push the can out

2. hamilton beach electric ($20) - yep blade dulled then it started twisting the cans instead of cutting

3. three dollar dollar gen special ($5) - hand twist - last like a month enough said never cut one in one spin ever

4. kitchen aid ($20) -hand twist - lasted app. one year blade dulled no longer cut all the way around instead it pushed the lid down inside and resulted in various barbaric attempts on my behalf to open the can -- called the company for new blades - they said sorry no blade replacements and sent me a whole new opener cause i was furiousover the mixer attatchment one and now the hand crank ---ROAR -- the new hand crank lasted app 1yr

i have tried finding replacement blades. NO Luck i have tried many brands and price ranges. NO LUCK

does anyone else have this problem?

what do you people use? does it last?

do any of you have a source for blades?

i would seriously like to know. i am curious and interested in a solution.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to robin1035 For This Useful Post:

What's a Budget?
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: can opener issue - am i really the only one?

Hello and wow! you sure must go through a lot of canned goods. When I was married 32 yrs ago we received an electric and opener (a real luxury then) and it still works! I got tired of having it on the counter and put it away and now just reach into my utility drawer for a hand held opener called "SwingawaY" that was my mother's and it can be rinsed and cleaned and I am sure it is about 15 years old. Maybe the older things like the mechanics of my old electic one were better made and they really want consumers to wear an opener out and buy a new one every few years Good luck!
    Life.........we're all in it together!

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Happytosave, I am right there with you. Have an electric one but find that the handheld one works faster and easier. Takes up less space as well. robin1035 hope you will be able to find something that will work for you.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had a swingway when I got married and it worked great after about 7 years it got lost in a move. I bought another one and it died quickly. We've gone through tons of electric and manual can openers and I finally bought a commercial manual can opener and it works great just got to bolt it down and use it and replace the blade every few years. I got a Progressive can opener that ratchets a can open that I love but never use it on cans larger than a #202 or it will break! I'm most glad I made the $50 investment and got the kind of can opener they use in large commercial type kitchen. You can easily replace most of the parts.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

OXO is an excellent brand. My KitchenAid is terrific & has lasted 7 years & still going strong. Both are manual can openers. Hope this helps you.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use the old fashioned hand held can opener. mine last for years, cost less than a slice of pizza, and does not take any counter space.
    i know this is not the answer youre looking for, but its my suggestion!
    good luck,
    AMY in miami

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Doesn't anybody make replacement blades for manual can openers? These things are virtually impossible to sharpen, and it's ridiculous to buy a new one every year or so just because the blade is dull.

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, and I was feeling bad buying a new manual can opener (OXO) to replace my faithful one that has to be over 17 years old and still works fine. The new opener, however, has a magnetic tip to grab the lid and locks on to the can, among other features. Much nicer for my aging hands.
    I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast