Birthday Cake!- Frugal Savings

I am going to a birthday party today for two of my friends, their bday's fall 4 days apart so we're having a party today for the both of them. Anywho, cakes at Walmart were 20 dollars for a basic one and 30 or more for the really pretty ones. That seriously rubbed me the wrong way, who the heck

bir, birthday, cake, cakes, feeling, good, hey, home, ice, idea, love, mix, pre, pretty, scratch, sounds, taste, walmar, walmart, yummy, dollar, dollars, jello, white, cents, party, today, clearance, loves, bought, kroger, made, heart, sprinkles, make, decent, store, whip, perfectly, bucks, brand, cool, frosting, making, raspberry, basic, anywho, rubbed, friends, bdays

Thread: Birthday Cake!

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Birthday Cake!

I am going to a birthday party today for two of my friends, their bday's fall 4 days apart so we're having a party today for the both of them. Anywho, cakes at Walmart were 20 dollars for a basic one and 30 or more for the really pretty ones. That seriously rubbed me the wrong way, who the heck wants to pay 20 dollars for a stinkin cake that you're just going to cut into and eat anyway? They're turning 29 and 30, I highly doubt if they care if it has flowers or not on it. lol So, I thought "HEY everyone loves my jello cake, why don't I just make em one of those?"

I have red sprinkles I bought out of a clearance tub at Kroger for 40 cents, I have raspberry Jello I got out of the same bin for 80 cents, white cake mix 1 dollar, white frosting 1 dollar, tub of cool whip (store brand) 1 dollar. So for less than 5 bucks and I have a perfectly decent cake. Hopefully they'll appreciate me making one since I made it from the heart

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PennyPincher For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Birthday Cake!

Very good idea, and yes a very pretty cake when finished..And OOO so good..
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Much better than the Walmart cakes! I've had some and they suck! Cake mix done at home or from scratch would be much better!

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Your cake sounds soooo yummy. I am sure they will appreciate the cake itself, as well as the thought and effort put into it. I personally do not like those cakes from Walmart. They seem to do the job when you are on short notice, but somehow, the feeling just isn't there. Suppose to be a celebration anyway right? What better way than something personal from you.

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds like you have the better cake to me...$20 really for what?? I am sure they will appreciate yours and love the taste much more!