Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Taiwanese Dumplings

Taiwanese Dumplings

I have had this recipe since 1975 when I visited Taiwan with my husband who had served there as a missionary for 3 years. I use to make them all the time but haven't for quite a while. All over Taiwan they make these wonderful little dumplings. I have very fond memories of them.

Ingredients:
    1 head Chinese cabbage
    1 bunch green onions
    2-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
    1 tsp. sesame oil
    111/2 lb. unseasoned ground pork (not sausage)
    23 pkg. wonton wraps
    1 C. soy sauce
    1 C. seasoned rice vinegar
    A few drops sesame oil

Finely chop the Chinese cabbage and green onions (if you use a food processor, be careful not to puree).
    Place in a sieve and press out most of the liquid. Add grated ginger and sesame oil. Combine equal parts of pork and cabbage mixture in a bowl. Mix with your hands. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Lay out 20 wonton wraps on a clean, dry surface. Place a small spoonful of meat mixture in the center of each wrap. Using your finger, wet the edges of the wraps with water (about a finger-width wide) and fold in half, creating a triangle. Press edges firmly to seal. Place 20 dumplings into the boiling water, one at a time.
    Slowly stir a few times to make sure that none of the dumplings are stuck to the bottom of the pot. Bring water back to a boil. Boil dumplings for 3 minutes. Remove with a sieve or slotted spoon and spread out on a cookie sheet so none of the dumplings stick together. Continue until all of the meat mixture is gone. In a medium bowl, combine soy sauce, rice vinegar, and a few drops of sesame oil; mix well. Pour in individual bowls for each person to dip dumplings in.

Cherlynn

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brchbell For This Useful Post:

Freebies Make My Day
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Taiwanese Dumplings

Cherlynn,

I cannot wait to try these. I have visited Taiwan (Taichung) 2x's for work. We moved 3 production lines from here to there. Very GREAT people, I loved the food (this recipe will be great to try).

The only things I did not like during my visits were the public restROOM and not being able to drink milk with my meals, only tea. Loved the fact you could drink beer DURING work. Very fond memories of the people and culture. Thanks alot.
    Hope Everyone Is Enjoying The Day. Best Wishes From MN ~ Pamela

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh yes! I remember the public restrooms! For those who are wondering, the public rest room I went into was two very open holes and the ladies squat around the edges of the open hole and do their business with everyone else and it all drains into the hole. Bring your own tissue, please! Oh there is no place like home!

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

But at least you were spared traveling around with your other half that had lived among them for 3 years! They would hold dinners for us and as the honored guest I would be blessed to get the chicken head on my plate. Being a "good wife" I would hold it up for my dear husband to eat! He had leaned over and told me the 1st time that I would give great offense if I didn't eat it so I did what I thought best!