Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default tip for sudden rising grocery prices

I found a new use for my price book to help with the suddenly rising grocery prices.

I compared current prices to previous.Then I made a list of all items that had NOT gone up or were the least rising prices. Then I put this list with my menu planning/current ads for the week to come up with more receipes that used these particular items. For Example, potatoes and cilantro and onions have gone up the least in fresh items. So I looked for receipes that used these items.
    Dairy has gone up the most. So I avoided receipes that used lots of dairy products.

Some items have doubled in our area and some have gone up 50 cents per item almost overnight. Hope this tip helps.

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: tip for sudden rising grocery prices

That's a really great Idea, I hadn't thought of doing that! I already keep a price book, but I spend so much time clipping coupons and watching for deals that it never occured to me to do that. Thanks!
    CC,

Yeah, This is my life now!

3. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Candace For This Useful Post:

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've only really started being "frugal" since Jan 1st. (New Years Resolution). But, I've been thinking about a master grocery list. Each 1st of the month..buying my master list and then filling in with loss leaders. I might copy one of these lists I see on websites.

5. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Harriet For This Useful Post:

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is anyone thinking about vegetable gardening to snuff out the cost of produce?

I have built greenhouses and intend to garden all year long to eliminate the cost of produce. I have had some good fortune with early spring planting, so I look forward to more success this summer. I am finishing a homemade greenhouse project this month.

Clair

7. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to ClairS For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's what we've been doing, gardening. I've been buying alot of stuff at farmers markets too and then canning it all myself. I used to think it was hard, lol, now I wonder what the heck took me so long!
    CC,

Yeah, This is my life now!

9. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Candace For This Useful Post:

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I get the flyers from the only two grocery stores in town. I sit and check the loss leaders and find the sales and write a list for each store. Then I put beside each item, what the sale price is so I don't end up buying it when it is not on sale. I buy several of each sale item, so I end up with a stock pile.

I buy almost all my groceries this way. dash

11. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to iradash2004 For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Downloads
    Uploads

Piggy

Dash- have you ever used the grocery guide?
    You just type in your zipcode and it pulls up all the stores in your area and shows what's on sale. You click the little checkboxes beside the items you want and then print it out when your done (for each store). So it's like finding all the loss leaders and sale items but without the hassle of writing it down or flipping through the pages to figure out which one has the best deal.

I love it and my kids are even learning how to find deals with it.

13. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to MissDaisy For This Useful Post:

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unfortunately, it doesn't show the stores we shop at here. (Wal-Mart, for example).

15. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mary Lyn For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast