Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Does anyone have a recipe for fondant?

I'm looking for a recipe for fondant or does it have to be bought? I am addicted to shows like Ace of Cakes and Cake Boss. I would like to try making some cakes using it. If I have to buy it, does anyone know where to buy it?

thanks,
    Cathy

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CATHYKEE For This Useful Post:

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Does anyone have a recipe for fondant?

2 pounds confectioners' sugar
    1/4 cup cold water
    1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
    1/2 cup glucose (found in cake decorating stores) or white corn syrup
    1 1/2 tablespoons glycerine (found in cake decorating stores/or small pharmacies)
    1 teaspoon flavoring such as lemon or almond extract
    liquid coloring if desired

Sift the sugar into a large bowl and make a well in the center. Pounr water into a small saucepan and sprinkle the gelatin on top to soften for about 5 minutes. Gently heat the gelatin and stir until it is dissolved and clear. DO NOT BOIL. Remove from heat and add the glucose or syrup and glycerine, stirring until well blended. Add the flavoring and liquid coloring if you desire. Pour the mixture into the well of sugar and mix until most of the sugar is blended, then knead with your hands until all of the sugar is incorporated and the mixture becomes stiff. If mixture is very sticky add small amount of confectioners' sugar. Shape the mixture into a ball, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, and let it rest at room temperature overnight in an airtight container. If refrigerated, the icing will become very hard and will have to brought to room temperature again before it will be soft enough to use. To color the fondant, add small amounts of paste food coloring and knead until the color is even. Use just a little coloring at a time so the color doesn't become darker than you want.

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hobby lobby has it in the cake decorating section!! It is kind of tricky to make, if its to humid it will not stiffen up.

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks very much. I am going to give it a try around Christmas.
    Cathy

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is an easy recipe, I made it once for a DS birthday cake. It was great because we made the Rugrat's characters on it. Was a big, big hit with all the little kids

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here's the basic fondant I make for candy making or to cover cakes.
    2 cups sugar
    3/4 cup boiling water
    1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar

Put the sugar and boiling water into a 2 qt saucepan. Blend with a wooden spoon, and place over low heat, stirring continuously until the mixture begins t dissolve. Continue stirring until the mixture boils, then add the cream of tartar. Cover for 3 minutes so the steam may wash and melt the sugar crystals down. Uncover and put your candy thermometer in. Using a fork wrapped with wet muslin or a moistened pastry brush. Wash off any further sugar crystals always using an upward movement. Boil without stirring over medium-high heat until you reach 238 degrees. Remove from heat and let set until all bubbles disappear. Pour carefully into a large platter or tray that has been moistened and cool in the refrigerator. Pour only what leaves the pan easily! Do not scape the sides or shake out the remaining candy. When it feels slightly warm totouch (about 110) work the candy over and over with a scraping and folding method using a wooden paddle or spatula. As the candy thickens it becomes opaque and when finished it forms a hard crumbly white mass and can no longer be worked with the paddle. At this point kneading it by hand brings the desired softness and the candy is ready to be ripened for use. Cover with a damp cloth and store in a jar at room temperature. Flavoring and coloring are added after it has ripened for 2 days. This is used for mint patties, bonbons, to coat cherries before dipping and I use it by melting in double boiler and adding flavoring and coloring and then cover cakes with when I need a hard coating to cover or for petti fours.

Hope this helps!
    Cherlynn