Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default My food storage menu for this week

I'm starting month number 3 on our food storage. I'm very pleased to see how things are lasting! While we don't have our cows for milk, cheese and met yet or chickens are producing very well. Here's what's for dinner this week:

Saturday: Spaghetti & fresh garlic bread
    Sunday: Hawaiian Chicken, Curried rice, veggies from the garden
    Monday: Turkey & Noodle Soup with rolls
    Tuesday: Beans, pan fried potatoes, cornbread
    Wednesday: Pot Pie: Chicken with peas & carrots
    Thursday: Beans with dumplings, pan fried potatoes, pan rolls

Friday: Breakfast for dinner: Whole wheat pancakes, Eggs and bacon

We have hot cereal for breakfast and lunch is fried egg sandwiches or peanut butter sandwiches. We have lots of bread ( I make 3 loaves of whole wheat every other day) and I have yogurt made up once a week so they can have yogurt or pop corn for snacks. We make ice cream on Sunday evenings for a special treat.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to brchbell For This Useful Post:

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: My food storage menu for this week

Sounds great! I love turkey noodle soup. That's great that you've got chickens. I live in the city and a couple people I've met through freecycle have urban chicken coops. One lady told me that they're alot easier to take care of than dogs, which I found interesting.

I've been eating out of the freezer and pantry for most of our protein ingredients and some of our vegetables this last month and a half. Sometimes I have trouble working some "great deal" into the menu planning! At the time I bought it, it seemed like a good idea--for instance, sausage--just bought too darn many. They were a great deal, in the clearance section for .99 each. But Dave's not a real fan so I have to disguise them.

I need to restrain my frugal impulses a little better!

Mary

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh I love disguising things from my picky eaters! We eat tons of beans but no one in my family knows that! I grind them into flour to mix in stuff-- makes a great thickener for soups & stews! I mash them and add to stuff. My hamburgers have very little meat in them anymore! I use 1/2 pound of hamburger and finely grated veggies and 1/2 cup of mashed red beans and most of my family are clueless they are getting veggies and beans! Had to laugh when my son went out to eat and said he much preferred my hamburgers to the fast food ones! He's so picky but I guess one of these days I'll clue him in on what he's eating at home! My black bean fudge is a big winner and no one knows what it is! I replaced our white flour with home ground mix. I grind up oat groats, barley and brown rice and no one knows it's not white flour. It's a little darker so I told them it's unbleached flour and no one has noticed a change! This current crisis has helped me see what I'm going to be short in and now I'll be able to update my list to get what we ended up being short in. I've been having so much fun! We still don't drink very much of the powdered milk but I'm making yogurt from the powdered milk and also our own hot chocolate mix so I know everyone is getting plenty of milk with those items. I also gives them lots of protein now that we're running out of actual meat in the freezer.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

ya know, it never occurred to me to grind up beans...maybe because I like 'em! LOL! I'll have to try doing this and see what delights I can come up with

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I ran across a web site simplylivingsmart.com last year and I thought I knew everything about food storage but it was the best $10 investment I've ever made! I can't believe all they've taught me! I use whole grains and beans in ways I never thought of. Part of their site is free and they just added an option to pay $9.95 once a year and be able to use all their video's. I pay the $9.95 a month and watch the videos but also take part in regular online classes that get turned into the video's. Sure have learned a lot from them in the last year!

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by offthecouchandtri View Post
    sausage--just bought too darn many. They were a great deal, in the clearance section for .99 each. But Dave's not a real fan so I have to disguise them.

Mary

What kind of sausage did you buy? I found this great recipe & my husband just LOVES it.