Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help please with Lima Beans

I am not used two lima beans, got 2 pkgs in Angelfood this month. Afraid they aren't going to be a big hit at my house. Does anybody have any great Lima Bean recipes to open our eyes to this under utilized veggie in our home?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lcove2000 For This Useful Post:

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help please with Lima Beans

Lima beans are a great source of many nutrients, according to The World's Healthiest Foods web site. If your family thinks they may not like them, one thing to do is to sneak the lima beans into all sorts of food. Cook them like any other dried bean, drain them a bit and mash or puree them until smooth. They work great in a soup base, and no one knows they are there. You could mix the puree into split peas, or even use it to thicken up a vegetable soup. I've mixed them with frijoles and added them to bean burritos and everyone loved them.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I hate lima beans and they are on my don't eat list because they are a simple starch but my family loves them. I'll do some up for them occasionally and if I make vegetable soup I'll put some in that ( the only way I'll eat them) If they are dry beans you can grind them into flour and mix it into all kinds of stuff. Canned ones you can mash them up and add to stuff. Good luck, you'd have to really hide them to get me to eat them-- so one of the few things on my don't eat list that I don't mind!

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here's a recipe that I like to make that's easy. (I always use canned limas, but you could cook the dry ones & add them to this meal.)

I cook some rice (white or brown, whichever you prefer). While that is cooking, I dice up a carrot or two (I dice it pretty small, but you don't have to). I then saute the carrot in a little oil to soften it up a little, but again, you don't need to. In a separate pot, I combine 1 can of whole potatoes (drained & cut into quarters), 1 can of corn (drained), & 1 can of lima beans (with a little bit of the lima juice). Add the carrots to the pot. Heat over low heat while the rice is also cooking. Add some salt and pepper & any other kind seasoning you would like. (I bet Mrs. Dash would be good.) Once rice is cooked, served veggies over rice. We love it!

still digging' my way out
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I like limas...if yours are like mine from Angel Food this month they are frozen green limas. If you have kids try them with cheese - the only way I used to get mine to eat them when they were small. If you're not a fan of bleu cheese in the following recipe try plain ole Velveeta. As stated in another post, stir them in veggie soup, or I make baked beans with them as well. Using either the limas alone or mixed with other beans...always with bacon and onion for baked beans. Of course, you can always make succotash - a mix of limas and whole kernel corn - with salt, pepper, and a bit of margarine or butter OR try with a bit of crumbled bacon and sauteed onion. Try the following recipes....

CHEESY LIMAS

1 (14 ounce) bag frozen baby lima beans
    1/4 cup milk
    4 oz. crumbled blue cheese
    1/2 tablespoon butter or margarine
    1/8 teasp black pepper
    1 teasp dehydrated mined onion or oniion powder
    1/3 cup breadcrumbs

Cook beans according to package directions, but don't add the salt. When beans are tender, drain. In small saucepan, heat milk and blue cheese, stirring until cheese is melted, stir in butter, black pepper and mined onion. Add beans and keep warm. Sprinkle bread crumbs over beans and serve immediately.

BBQ B

1 lb frozen lima beans, you can do a mixture of beans as I did in the picture limas and red beans
    1/3 lb bacon
    1 large chopped onion
    2-4 minced garlic cloves
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 tablespoon chili powder

1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with garlic (Contadina)
    1 1/2 cups shredded monterey jalapeno jack cheese (you can skip the jalapenos if you like it mild)
    1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce (If making this recipe vegetarian, use vegetarian Worcestershire sauce.)
    1 teaspoon soy sauce
    2 teaspoons honey mustard
    1/4 cup dark brown sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    pepper

Directions
    1In a casserole dish (I use cast iron pot) brown bacon till crisp.
    2Set bacon aside.
    3Add oil to bacon fat and fry onions and garlic about 5 minutes.
    4Crumble bacon.
    5Add all the rest of the ingredients to pot.
    6Bake at 350F for 2 hours.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

The following recipe is with ham - or feel free to leave it out and use just the veggies - salt and pepper to taste. Sometimes I use crisp bacon instead of the ham...

SUCCOTASH WITH HAM

1 (16 ounce) bag frozen lima beans, thawed
    1 (16 ounce) bags frozen corn, thawed
    4 Tblsp Butter
    salt
    pepper
    About a cup or more of cooked ham, cut bite size

Saute the beans and corn in butter until just beginning to caramelize. Salt and pepper to taste. Toss in left-over ham and heat through.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

BASIC LIMAS

1 package frozen lima beans
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
    1 teaspoon lemon juice

Cook beans as directed on the package with mustard, sugar and salt [or steam with mustard, sugar and salt sprinkled over the beans. Drain. Mix in butter and lemon juice.
    Serve immediately, garnished with a half-slice of lemon.

Downloads
    Uploads

If they are fresh or fozen, the simpliest way is to "stew" them. I often put them in the crockpot first thing in the morning or in a pan full of water on a low heat all day, this way if I'm going ot be at home. Once done, and that for my family is SOFT, SOFT, SOFT. Make sure to have plenty of water, for the crockpot I use I fill it. Hard to say exactly how much water this is, sorry, I realize all measurements are sort of generic to my own cooking utensils.
    I generally have some bacon drippings and use a heaping tablespoon for seasoning, plus salt and pepper. In the crockpot on low, they are done by the time I get home around 5, and if I'm at home cooking, I just keep an eye on them and add water as needed, turn the heat up or down as needed.
    Then, I simply make "drop" dumplings or "dough boys." Basic dumpling dough recipe, pinch off little bits, about the size of a gumball/jawbreaker and drop into the boiling water with the beans until cooked. If you use a crockpot, then you'll need to transfer to a pan big enough to hold all and bring to a boil. My family loves these, personally, I really don't like lima beans. This is a very warming soup. Add anything else your family likes like a salad and bread to compliment.
    Gloria