Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Looking for easy stuffed pepper recipe

I remember my Mom making stuffed pepper without cooking the rice first (it cooked while inside the pepper. Does anyone have a good recipe like this? TIA

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lcove2000 For This Useful Post:

still digging' my way out
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looking for easy stuffed pepper recipe

I know what you mean - it's a take on an old 1950's recipe for meatloat or porcupine meatballs - both good... Try this one!! You can always NOT stuff peppers and pack in a loaf pan for meatloaf - or shape into balls for meatballs and bake as well.

STUFFED PEPPERS

1 pound extra-lean ground beef (hamburger)
    1/2 cup uncooked white rice (instant or minute rice) - do not use raw rice
    1/4 cup finely chopped onion
    1/4 cup minced bell pepper - use the tops cut from the peppers
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon salt or to taste
    1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1 tablespoon minced fresh or dried rosemary or basil (0pt)
    2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 egg, beaten
    1/4 cup tomato ketchup
    1/4 cup skim or non-fat milk
    1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
    v
    Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly grease an 8x8 pan. Cut just enough from the tops of 4 bell peppers to be able to clean out the seed pods and rinse peppers well. Place upright in pan.

In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, uncooked rice, onion, bell pepper, garlic, salt, pepper, rosemary or basil if using, Worcestershire sauce, egg, ketchup, milk, and bread crumbs. Using your clean hands (removing any rings), mix together all the ingredients. Mix thoroughly but lightly, being careful not to pack the meat too much. NOTE: This mixture will be moister than most recipes at this point. The extra liquid is needed for the rice to absorb while cooking.

Stuff peppers with meat mixture mounding any extra on top. Place in pan. Bake approximately 40 - 60 minutes or until peppers are tender and meat mixture is browned Remove from oven and let rest for 15 minutes before serving. Serve with tomato gravy, ketchup or brown gravy...

Makes 4 servings.

still digging' my way out
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looking for easy stuffed pepper recipe

STUFFED PEPPERS USING RAW RICE

2 lb. beef, or mix of pork & beef
    1 c. uncooked rice - in this one you can use raw long grain rice
    1 c. shredded Cheddar cheese
    2 cans tomato soup, undiluted
    2 eggs
    1 c. bread crumbs
    minced green pepper - the tops of the peppers cut for cleaning them
    1 sm. chopped onion (optional)
    6 large or 8 medium green Peppers

In a large bowl, mix meat, eggs, uncooked rice, bread crumbs and 3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese. Add enough tomato soup to the mixture to make moist - one whole can and almost half of the second, usually. Pack meat mixture into peppers and stand upright in lightly greased pan.

Pour remaining tomato soup over peppers. . Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, till peppers are tender. Ten minutes before removing from oven sprinkle 1/4 cup remaining cheese on top so it melts.